free website stats program fuel pump | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

fuel pump

If the problem is sensitive to the amount of gas in the tank it points directly to a leak in the fuel lines. When the leak is above the fuel level in the tank the pump looses pressure and starts pumping to regain pressure. I would start by replacing the fuel lines and fuel filter too to eliminate that as a cause.

If the problem remains then it is likely the pump - but to my way of thing the money was well spent on the fuel lines and filter on an eleven year old bike.

My bike does this too on occasion. I always thought it was the pump re-pressurizing the tank. Won't the pressure in the tank go down as fuel is burned? If so, doesn't the pump have to bring the tank back up to pressure?

I have a 200 road king and there is a high pitched noise similar to one of those test pattern tones. It has been loud at times but of late is more subdued. It shows up usually at the 3/4 tank mark and will stay for a 100 or so miles and then go away for a while then return. I had one mechanic say it was fuel pump noise and that the only way to get rid of it was to replace the pump. What do you guys think.

Engine Dies And Runs In Spurts - Harley Davidson Community does this pertain to your bike?

My bike does this too on occasion. I always thought it was the pump re-pressurizing the tank. Won't the pressure in the tank go down as fuel is burned? If so, doesn't the pump have to bring the tank back up to pressure?

It makes sense. But from what I'm told you usually can't hear it when it happens, untill the pump starts going bad. My pump got noticeably louder after one particular fill up. Maybe bad gas? Maybe I stuck the nozzle in too far and messed something up? Is that a possibility? The pump I used wasn't working properly so I remember shoving it in as far as I could. (at 2am after 8 hrs of 20 degree riding and no sleep) obviously I wasn't thinking. Maybe I disturbed something. The bike runs the same as it always did though.

I was getting an occasional fuel pump whine when I first turned the ignition ON even when my bike was just 4 months old. Typical noise you hear from small motor bearings. I knew it was not the sound of fuel by-passing from a bad hose and I was not taking the bike in under warranty. So I started throwing a couple of oz's of Marvel mystery oil in the tank every now and then. I have not heard that pump whine noise in over a year.

(Only good for whining, not swooshing. For swooshing, look for pin hole leaks)

As always I have been gaining extra trouble shooting knowledge from this post. Just wanted to give a heads up that chase1 most likely will not get back on this as his post is dated April 15th of last year. Just noticed that.:D

I was getting an occasional fuel pump whine when I first turned the ignition ON even when my bike was just 4 months old. Typical noise you hear from small motor bearings. I knew it was not the sound of fuel by-passing from a bad hose and I was not taking the bike in under warranty. So I started throwing a couple of oz's of Marvel mystery oil in the tank every now and then. I have not heard that pump whine noise in over a year.

(Only good for whining, not swooshing. For swooshing, look for pin hole leaks)

Sorry for my ignorance. But what is the easiest way to look for leaks? It's kind of hard to see in the tank isn't it? This is all pretty new to me. I haven't even owned my bike for more than 6 months yet.

My fuel pump was making weird noises when I had holes in the line inside the tank. I don't know if it was stupidity or just refusing to admit that there was a problem but I rode it that way for quite awhile before I tore it apart and fixed it. I never had a problem with my bike not running or stalling like some have reported, just the noise.

My fuel pump was making weird noises when I had holes in the line inside the tank. I don't know if it was stupidity or just refusing to admit that there was a problem but I rode it that way for quite awhile before I tore it apart and fixed it. I never had a problem with my bike not running or stalling like some have reported, just the noise.

Ok. Good to know. I guess I'll have to look into it. Mines the same way. Runs like a champ. Just sounds different. Thanks

Back