free website stats program fuel pump | Harley Davidson Forums

fuel pump

chase1

I have a 200 road king and there is a high pitched noise similar to one of those test pattern tones. It has been loud at times but of late is more subdued. It shows up usually at the 3/4 tank mark and will stay for a 100 or so miles and then go away for a while then return. I had one mechanic say it was fuel pump noise and that the only way to get rid of it was to replace the pump. What do you guys think.

I'm not sophisticated enought to record and post a sound. This has been going on for almost 2 years, on and off again. Would replacing the lines first be feasible.

I have a 200 road king and there is a high pitched noise similar to one of those test pattern tones. It has been loud at times but of late is more subdued. It shows up usually at the 3/4 tank mark and will stay for a 100 or so miles and then go away for a while then return. I had one mechanic say it was fuel pump noise and that the only way to get rid of it was to replace the pump. What do you guys think.

Fuel Filter Replacement - Harley Davidson Community This is what Smitty is talking about

Chase1, how close are you to Colorado? I can put a gauge on it & see how the pump is doing, I have the adapter.

Toby

A high pitched whine in any fuel injected vehicle usually indicates a fuel pump issue. That's not to say it will fail, just that it is usually the culprit.

Same problem with my 08 street glide. Let me know if you find the problem. I agree with what everyone says, just don't know how to test it. When I turn the key on now it isn't that nice high pitch whine. It's more like a swooshing noise. But when the motor is running I can hear the whining on certain occasions.

Back