free website stats program Fuel gauge went out | Harley Davidson Forums

Fuel gauge went out

GimmeFuel

Just as it reads above. So, is there anything I can do to fix this thing or do I just need to simply replace it?

Are you sure it is the fuel guage and not the sending unit?

As Don suggested, it may be the sending unit. There are a few wires going into the tank. The Black and Yellow/White go to the sending unit. Disconnect the connector at the tank. Measure the resistance between the Black and the Yellow/White using your meter.

About 40 ohms is a Full Tank.
About 120 ohms is a 1/2 Tank
About 260 Ohms is an empty Tank.

See what you read. All you said is the gauge went "Out". You did not say if your gauge is pegged on Empty or Full. But I think you get the idea of what you should read with your meter.

I'll check it out. It is pegged as though it were bone dry. One moment, it was working fine... the next, it wasn't working at all.

So, if it is the sending unit, what then? Also, I'm not really sure where to disconnect what you describe.

You might get lucky and it is just a wire that has come off or broken. Keep us posted.

GimmeFuel; the wires Hoople explains in his reply are located under your fuel gauge...just need to get it unmounted & test wiring w/meter. If one of the wires are broken/damaged - should see right away.

So, if it is the sending unit, what then? Also, I'm not really sure where to disconnect what you describe.

I can only give you the needed tricks or "know how" on how to diagnose your problem.

It doesn't take the place of having a Harley Service manual which lists the steps on how to replace the sending unit if it happens to be bad (reads Infinity with meter).

Good point, it could be blown or open.

"INSTR" fuse supplies power to gauge. But not a dedicated fuse & would affect other items.

I'm not familiar with F.B. fuel gauge location, but my Dyna fuel gauge (where the left cap would be) wires come out of the bottom of the tank. Check the connection there.

Back