free website stats program Fuel gauge stopped working | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Fuel gauge stopped working

A loose fairing could shake the filaments in two. Glad it was an easy find.
WAP.gif

You may want to disconnect connector 13A -13B which is a 4 wire connector under the seat. Wire colors are (1) Orange/Gray,,,(2) Yellow/White,,,(3) Solid Black,,, (4) Solid Black. 13B is the side going to the float assembly. It has the metal female pins.

Take your ohm meter and measure between (3) solid black and (2) Yellow/White of 13B.

If fuel tank is full, the reading should be 7-14 ohms. An empty tank should have a 74-95 ohm resistance. A half full tank will be approximately 30-38 ohms. If you read 7-14 ohms and the tank is not full, that's your problem.

According to my information, this should be accurate. If you find the connector and the wire colors match to what's above, you should be good.

You may want to disconnect connector 13A -13B which is a 4 wire connector under the seat. Wire colors are (1) Orange/Gray,,,(2) Yellow/White,,,(3) Solid Black,,, (4) Solid Black. 13B is the side going to the float assembly. It has the metal female pins.

Take your ohm meter and measure between (3) solid black and (2) Yellow/White of 13B.

If fuel tank is full, the reading should be 7-14 ohms. An empty tank should have a 74-95 ohm resistance. A half full tank will be approximately 30-38 ohms. If you read 7-14 ohms and the tank is not full, that's your problem.

According to my information, this should be accurate. If you find the connector and the wire colors match to what's above, you should be good.
When you say thats my problem, I don't know what you mean.
Are you saying the float is stuck or is there an electrical problem?
I know the sending unit is none repairable.

When you say thats my problem, I don't know what you mean.
Are you saying the float is stuck or is there an electrical problem?
I know the sending unit is none repairable.

The numbers given are what the ohm meter should read in relationship to how much gas is in tank. The swing of the float on sender is giving resistance which is what you are measuring. So go and fill the tank, disconnect connector under seat measure as prescribed and you will rule out if the sender is bad or not.....

Just checked the 13B connector with the OHM meter, the tank is about half full and the meter reads 11.
Should I fill the tank and re check it or run it down some more and check it?
Guess this means the sending unit is bad?

the tank is about half full and the meter reads 11.

It is most likely that the float is your problem, but before I went though the work of buying gaskets and taking it apart, I would want some supporting evidence that's where the problem was.

Having a meter reading of 11 ohms with a tank that's 1/2 full, does indicate that your problem is within the tank.

More evidence would be taking another meter reading after using up more fuel. If the meter reading was 11 ohms once again, that would confirm & prove the issue is contained within the tank.

I do not like doing work or buying parts that don't fix the original problem. The more supporting evidence you have, the better your chance of nailing down the problem on the first try.

Thanks Hoople
I would be lost without the help you guys on the forum give.
I am really electrical challanged, so any advise is appreciated.
Dave

Back