free website stats program Fuel gage accuracy | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Fuel gage accuracy

I would like to see H-D use a fuel sending unit that can be calibrated with their digital technician, or SERT program. Most of us just give up on the calibration, and use the trip odometer. A cork float would be more accurate. Most of us are getting old and we have always accepted H-D's shortfalls, but the newer riders expect things like a gas gauge to work, and be accurate. When things like a gas gauge affect H-D sales, the change will be made, I hope it won't be too late.

Thorns

The light on my 07 SG comes on at 1/4 tank and your pushing it very soon after that. I have put 5.1 gallons in it several times.
One better than the gas guage is the odometer. My brother and I rode to South Dakota a few weeks back and both set our trips to zero. When we got to sioux falls and got gas he had 8 or 9 more miles than I did. He has an 08 Ultra.

Could be you took a shorter path in the curves than your partner...after all you are the Birdman taking the straightest path between two points is "natural"...:bigsmiley22:

Seriously, there is no reason why a fuel guage should not do what it was designed to do. Especially since all models with Fuel Injection rely on it...even if "old schoolers" (like me) use the odometer by habit. :small3d015: Go to the dealer and get it fixed, if one refuses complain to MOCO, we ALL pay for good service AND bad if customer DIS-service is allowed to continue. :newsmile025:

Last edited:
I rode my '09 out fuel on my second tank to see how accurate the miles till empty countdown was. Ran out of gas about 12 miles after it said 0. I have a 1/2 gallon fuel can that we used for RC airplane fuel, I keep that full in my right bag, just in case. Learned the hard way on my first FI rocket, realized there was no reserve when I ran out of gas in the middle of the San Mateo bridge.

Back