free website stats program Fuel gage accuracy | Harley Davidson Forums

Fuel gage accuracy

joel

I'll be goiing back for the 4th time for the fuel gage problem on my 09 RKC, this time after talking to moco I get a new sending unit do to after the last adjustment I can now get to push my bike to the gas station with the gage is reading 1/4 tank, don't evan get to see the low fuel warning light come on anymore. So I was wondering if anyone else has a accuracy related problem as the dealer said all fuel gages are off and I should only be concerned with miles per tank. Now with my previous bike, 03 RKC when the gage said 1/2, 1/4, or low leval light came it was accuate, as well as with my 08 Ultra, the gage is very accurate, when it shows 1/2 tank I can get very close to 3 gallons in it.[ I was going to type 3 gals, but I think we all would rather have 3 gals on the tank than in it ] , after talking with the tech I think his nick name should be Smokie, cause that is what I see when he is telling me anything at this point.

When I started riding as a young lad, gas gauges did not exist. So, I use the gauge as a guide or reminder, but I always check my mileage to know when I need to gas up.

Joel, Just curious, but who's blowing the smoke at you? Shumate or Lone Wolf?

My gauge seems to read lower than actual amount of gas in the tank; which is fine. If it was the other way than I would be concerned.
As a general I try not to let the tank on my bike or truck or car get below half a tank.

Last edited:
I too miss reserve. Guess with the fuel injection it would be too hard on Harleys fuel pump........

I had to bend the sending unit rod on our FLHTP to ge t an accurate reading. At first it never read below 3/4 tank because it was hanging up on the pickup line inside the tank. I couldn't belive that they would ride it that way and put up with that. I can't stand something that doesn't work and that goes for people also. "Ha Ha" It took me two or three times of bending and adjusting the rod before I got it reading accuratley. I am kind of a perfectionist when it comes to things like that. I still watch my trip odometer as well as the gauge. Now if I could only spell. OH Well!

Last edited:
My 08 Ultra is spot on. When my low level light comes on, I have 40 miles left to go. Takes just over 5 gallons if I hit the station right then.

Mine is very accurate on the 09 FLHX. There are many of times that I don't stop till the light comes on and it still takes less then 5.0 gallons.

Back