free website stats program Front wheel spacers | Harley Davidson Forums

Front wheel spacers

johnwhite60

Hello Out there,

I needed tires for my 96 Sportster. Using my trusty Clymer manual I got the rear wheel off OK, then went to the front. I'm usually just short of anal about removing hardware and placing it in reverse order for the re-install. This time however, when I removed the front axle, the spacers plopped down on the floor and Murphy's law set in and they rolled in all sorts of directions. I didn't get to see the placement before they fell. There's 3 of them, 2 I know were on the rotor side. They are 5/16, 9/16 and 7/8. The Clymer is not real clear on this. This is a cast wheel.
Any help would surely be welcomed.

Thanks from that old vet who happens to like his Sportster.

hd service manual wont give you the answer either
so your going to have to work it out
mount the wheel and make sure its central in the fender
is where id start if your wheel should be offset ie not in the centre of the forks the front fender will also be offset so that the wheel is in the middle of it

Brian

step one throw Clymer in trash
step two get HD manual

ive alredy coverd this it aint in the hd manual unless yours is more detailed than mine and there aint no metric weights or mesures in the hd manual and the clymer is esier to find the info you need as its better laid out and contains more detail

ive got both for all three hd bikes that i have and prefer the clymer manual

Brian

Actually there is a second "official" HD PARTS MANUAL for your specific model that has nothing but exploded diagrams and part numbers. It can be had for...you guessed it $60 US unless your local HD parts guru, he is the one guy who is really helpful with customers you will identify while standing in line, as the more popular "learned" one, who is computer savy and works with all previous customers to find answers. He is the one who knows that you were patient enought to wait for him and will always come back if he finds the answers with dispatch, does a screen dump printout or run a copy of the diagram and hand it to you free of charge.

Good luck...so far I have not purchased this 2nd manual, but I am a regular visitor and he knows me by my first name and I will be getting it soon just because of the good customer service. Coming from an automotive background I always though HD was like most dealerships that used a regularly updated factory microfisch system...BUT NOOO...!:newsmile070:

Last edited:
Noooo is the right word its all on that PC in the workshop :D

I know they haven't used microfisch in ages, I just thought it was kinda funny that the parts guy was using the $60 General Purpose Parts Manual INSTEAD of the computer, which surprisingly had much poorer detail than the website Bud pointed out...I just thought it was amazing...stone knives and bear skins anyone...anyone? :swoon

I would measure the brake caliper travel'then I would measure my spacers ,centre everything and then go from there

I use parts manuals as much as the shop manuals when working on various things.

I vote parts manual. Exploded views are an excellent source to show you how stuff goes together.

i have the parts list for all my bikes have never seen a harley dealer so make all purchases of parts online use the parts list for the correct part numbers
but aint too good for identifying the spacers laying on the floor unless the spacers have the part number on them

Brian

there is really only three possible combinations isn't there.
the 7/8 and the 5/16
The 7/8 and the 9/16
or the 7/8 on one side and the 5/16 and 9/16 on the other

Back