Front Wheel Bearing Gone

Discussion in 'Touring Models' started by Dr.Evil, Oct 18, 2010.

1. Dr.Evil

Dr.Evil Junior Member

FYI
    '09 Road Glide, 24K miles
    My friend had his front wheel bearing go out. Bad vibration at highway speed. When he got stopped, he said the balls were falling out on the ground. He said the dealer was suprised he got 24K out of the bearings. This sounds dangerous to me.

2. Blew

Blew Member

The new wheel bearings have in built seal which at best can be called water resistant. So once water gets in they tend to corrode the bearing surface.

3. bonsi57

bonsi57 Active Member

I had my front wheel bearings go bad at 15,000 miles. Warranty covered the expense. No reason from the dealer given. They have seen quite a few go bad on the 2009 and 2010 bikes. I was glad it was caught before something bad could happen.

4. ultrat

ultrat Senior Member Contributor

Darn, now another thing to worry about....

5. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

Be careful washing your wheels, keep high pressure away from the bearings

6. ultrat

im safe in that regard im not a big bike washer. wash up just after 1st snow. then in spring...

7. trvlr

trvlr Junior Member

These bike parts being made over in China now? I'm telling you, China is really pumping out the junk - much the same as when "Made in Japan" made you raise an eyebrow back in the 70's. Japan got it figured out when Demming went over there and showed them how manufacturing works - and now you're high-fiving when you get something manf in Japan. But right now China is exactly where Japan was in the 70's.

8. Hoople

Hoople Account Removed

I would think you would hear a bad bearing LONG before they start coming apart. Maybe if you have a Stereo blasting you may miss it but normally bearings make Terrible noise before they fall apart.

(I usually jack up the bike once or twice a month just to spin the wheels and clean them)

9. Redfish-Joe

Redfish-Joe Senior Member

Mine was bad at 24k. I was changing the tire when I noticed a rough spot in them. Back was bad at 35k.

10. ultrat

got a jack, im takin a peak....