free website stats program Front Wheel Bearing Gone | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Front Wheel Bearing Gone

I have noticed a bit of oily looking spots on front fender as well. Keeping an eye on it, plan on going and having dealer check it out since it is still in warranty. I don't use a pressure washer and try not to get much water by any bearing. I think the heat is the biggest thing that causes the grease to come out.

Has anyone noticed this? During a post ride cleaning found oil spot (grease) on the right side of the front wheel, where oil would fall with the bike on the jiffy stand. Suspected the wheel bearing, I watched it the rest of the summer never noticed it again. I think that high ambient temperatures, high speeds, melts the grease which flies clear at highway speeds going mostly detected until bearing failure occurs. Haven't changed mine, but will check them for sure....

Same situation with my old 1986 Tour Glide Classic. There was what I thought brake fluid on the right outer disc? I assumed that brake fluid was seeping around the caliper piston packing, so I put in a new packing and washed the pads with acetone. No change? Still had that grease film looking stuff on the disc? I couldn't see any grease coming from the front wheel bearings or brake fluid coming from the caliper? After the third disc cleaning with acetone and a paper towel, the problem stopped? Maybe some of that brake fluid had absorbed into the pad material, and using the brakes forced that absorbed fluid out onto the disc? I don't know, because the pads looked good when I took them out?

Back