free website stats program Front tire replacement | Harley Davidson Forums

Front tire replacement

gator508

Experienced Member
So I'm doing a lot of work myself since my copper plan has expired. Going to replace the front tire which looks straight forward to do, have a service manual.
I was told by a friend who does all this stuff himself that it's not necessary to balance the tire, but is important to line up the dot on the tire to the valve stem, I question this.
Also any tips of this from all you pros out there. Thanks!

Absolutely get tire balanced to avoid removing tire for the second time to have balanced. Be sure to look at brake pads for now is a great time for replacement and change brake fluid if over 2 years.
After reinstalling wheel and caliper slowly pump up the front brake lever to reapply pads..:s

I was told by a friend who does all this stuff himself that it's not necessary to balance the tire, but is important to line up the dot on the tire to the valve stem

I don't agree. Have the tire balanced. Ideally dynamic balance. And yes, the dot on the sidewall should be lined up with the tire valve.

TQ

Absolutely balance the tire/wheel, with the dot next to stem. If you have spokes, and are mounting the tire yourself, I can't stress enough how careful you have to be to not pinch the tube. Use a marker on the axle spacers to show L & R, and which goes close to bearing.

Always line up dot with valve and balance. If it is tubeless replace the valve stem

Most, if not all, motorcycle tires are directional. This means that they have an indicator that shows rotation direction. Make sure that the tire is installed in the correct direction.

SPIN balance the tire, it adds to the life expectancy and will give you and the bike a smoother ride. Front end vibrations can and will effect the front end and the seals in the forks.

Glider, what is your take on dynabeads or Ride On sealer/balancer for
balancing a new tire??

Glider, what is your take on dynabeads or Ride On sealer/balancer for
balancing a new tire??

I prefer the balancing weights that are stationary (stick on's for mags and clamp on's for spokes)

IMO, something that moves around cannot do the job of something stationary but that's just my slant on it. Old habits are hard to break and success with a product is hard to dispute.

I have used Dynabeads for several years and always get great service out of my tires. The thing about Dynabeads is that they constantly balance your tire through out the tires life. Static weights are placed in one place for a one time balance for ? How many times have you taken you car in to have its tires rotated and balanced again?

This is the experience I have had with Dynabeads..yours may vary.:D

Dyna beads work like wet clothes in the washing machine spin cycle. I don't know the enjiener-a-makle principal, but they work for me. :newsmile059:

Back