free website stats program front end wobble | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

front end wobble

The belt is a possibility but it doesn't happen very often. It's best to try to isolate if it is a transferred sensation or if it is actually in the front end. My guess would be in the front springer assy. Also spin the tire and see if it runs true or has a lateral runout problem in one section.

does the Metzeler ME 880 90/90-21 TL 54H have a steal belt, or is this a non bias tire?

One more question and I'll leave you all alone on this subject, but will tell you what I figure out. Is the stearing head bearing adjustment a waste of time? MY service manuel makes it sound like it wouldn't really do much, but if it could be the problem I'll look into it. Thank you all

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure on the metzler but I believe it's bias ply, no steel.

Steering head adjustment is an important setting and should not be overlooked.

looks like its going to be the damper shock absorber on the front center of the springer. I could use some help trying to find a cheap one, even a used one if someone has an old springer front end that they are going to part out.

I have this same issue and am waiting for the repair manual to get here so I can figure out what is causing mine to wobble. let me know how you make out on getting yours to stop.

Is it normal for the springer suspension to squeak or is there something I should be oiling?

If they bike has been washed or ridden in the rain excessively ,the front end may need a servicing.

When you say service, do you mean major service or just having things tightened up? I really admire how you take time to give all us knuckleheads so much great advice.

The springer front ends require service much the same as the telescopic front ends do but in a different way. They have the rockers and other parts that should be checked for tightness and lubricated also to perform properly. Wear is another important aspect in the springers too. When things wear the front end gets sloppy.

Glad to help out where I can.

I know I'm digging up the past here with this old thread, but I fixed this issue, somewhat. I took it into the dealer and $300 some odd bucks later, it hadn't changed at all. Frustrated, I bought a bike jack, a spare neck bolt, and did the fall away test myself. First thing I noticed, once I got all the stuff off of the handlebars etc. as the manual states, is that I couldn't get the front wheel to stay in the straight position. Even when I moved it most of the way to the right (opposite side from the caliper), it would start moving toward the left and then gain speed until it slammed into the left stop. I took the acorn nut off the neck and, to my amazement, could spin the neck bolt with my fingers. That's loose! I used my new tool (made from the spare neck bolt per the manual's direction) and took about 2 hours of testing and tightening until the fall away was much better. I eventually tightened that nut quit a bit (still not much muscle) until things worked better. I put it all back together and gave her a ride. Still a slight wobble, so I tightened it just a slight bit more, and rode her again. NO WOBBLE, well, only vary rarely now and then its slight. The bike handles MUCH better now in the curves and even in the straight-aways. I think I am going to find a different dealer. I feel like I gave them $300 some odd bucks for keeping my scoot in their garage for a week.

I know I'm digging up the past here with this old thread, but I fixed this issue, somewhat. I took it into the dealer and $300 some odd bucks later, it hadn't changed at all. Frustrated, I bought a bike jack, a spare neck bolt, and did the fall away test myself. First thing I noticed, once I got all the stuff off of the handlebars etc. as the manual states, is that I couldn't get the front wheel to stay in the straight position. Even when I moved it most of the way to the right (opposite side from the caliper), it would start moving toward the left and then gain speed until it slammed into the left stop. I took the acorn nut off the neck and, to my amazement, could spin the neck bolt with my fingers. That's loose! I used my new tool (made from the spare neck bolt per the manual's direction) and took about 2 hours of testing and tightening until the fall away was much better. I eventually tightened that nut quit a bit (still not much muscle) until things worked better. I put it all back together and gave her a ride. Still a slight wobble, so I tightened it just a slight bit more, and rode her again. NO WOBBLE, well, only vary rarely now and then its slight. The bike handles MUCH better now in the curves and even in the straight-aways. I think I am going to find a different dealer. I feel like I gave them $300 some odd bucks for keeping my scoot in their garage for a week.
make sure fender bolt on right side,is not rubbing tire. had to retrue rim and put
.shim in axle.
i put 80 spoke rim on mine. buddy had same thing on his 40 spoke

Back