front end wobble

Discussion in 'Softail Models' started by springers97, Aug 4, 2008.

1. springers97

springers97 Member

good morning to all, I was on a road trip this weekend and it was around 104-106 degrees out,I was going about 45mph through a curve on some real new looking black top, my front end started a bad wobble and I thought I had a flat front tire. I pulled over and checked, but it was ok. I checked all of the front end bolts to make sure that they were still torqued, and all seems tight. Should I be worried, or was it just the hot road? The tire has real good tread, and the size is 90/90-21 m/c 54 H ME 880 marathon.

thanks for your input

2. glider

glider Veteran Member

New blacktop will often give you a squirmy feeling especially in heat and on curves.

3. springers97

springers97 Member

thank you glider, it was just a real uneasy feeling, and it made me very concerned. I am gonna check the spokes, is there any certain way to do that, for instance checking spokes opposite from eachother, like lugnuts on a cage

4. glider

glider Veteran Member

If you spin the wheel slowly and use a screwdriver handle or something like that , listen to the tone of the spokes as they wheel turns. If you hear a dull thud instead of a tone, the spoke is loose. They should all have about the same tone when struck with an object like the handle.

5. Joyflyin

Joyflyin Experienced Member Staff Member Moderator

I have been learning about these 'uneasy' feelings on the bike this year too. I first noticed it a few weeks back, was very concerned as you are, but even now, I don't like the feeling, but after keeping a close eye on the bike, (it never hurts to check these things), I don't worry as much when I feel the wobble. I am pretty confident that it is not the bike.

6. springers97

springers97 Member

well I just got back from lunch, what a very uneasy feeling, I don't even want to ride the bike home from work. I did notice that when I take off from a dead stop, and start to accellerate, my front tire jumps up and down, I'm afraid this might be a bearing, is that a possibility?

7. Joyflyin

Joyflyin Experienced Member Staff Member Moderator

It sounds like you have something going on that needs to be checked. My times of being a 'bit wobbly' are definitely few & far between, I have chocked it up to being different road surfaces, since it is very inconsistent and I can't seem to duplicate the feeling even on the same stretch of road. Good luck.

8. glider

glider Veteran Member

It could be a bad bushing in the rocker of the front end.

9. dangerdan

dangerdan Junior Member

1) Put the bike on a lift just high enough to lift the front tire off ground and rotate tire...should be smooth.

2) Grab the front tire and wiggle it , there should be no movement.

3) Check Axle nuts or pinch bolts if any for looseness and re-torque to specs.

10. springers97

springers97 Member

thanks everyone, I got the front tire off the ground and noticed it was'nt spinning real free. I found that the previous owner had pulled the fender, when he put it back on he put a spacer on the inside and not the outside, this threw off the fender which inturn has gouged my front tire. I don't know if its enough to screw up the balance yet I haven't rode yet. hope for the best.

I was talking to my brother-in-law, he was saying to check the belt for a torn cogg on the belt, that could send the vibration through the bike to the front tire. Is that possible? please reply, I have a poker run coming up, and I need to solve this problem. I was also wondering, I hit a pretty deep hole, and even though I didn't notice the wobble for about 4 miles or so, could that bump maybe have damaged the inside of the tire? As I said before I put the bike on a stand, and didn't see anything wrong, but could it have a messed up the belt in the tire. What are the chances of loosing a balancing weight off of one of the spokes? thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2008