From Florida to NY

Discussion in 'Road Trips/Touring' started by haroldt, May 9, 2009.

1. haroldt

haroldt Member

I'm planing a solo trip from Melbourne Florida to upstate NY (Syracuse area) on my 98 Heritage. I've been riding since 2005 and have logged over 27k. While never having taken on this type of a ride, I do ride the interstates often and have done several 2, 3, 4 hour trips.

Has anyone made this trip?

I will be taking 95 north and was concerned about driving around DC, it's scary enough in a car. I was told about taking 95 to I-26 in South Carolina to I-77 and then north to I-81. Any thoughts?

I've been reading the Touring section of this site and getting some good ideas. Besides the obvious thinks like getting the bike checked and wearing clean underwear... what words of wisdom might you fine folks bestow upon me.

I'm getting excited and am counting the weeks. Thank you - Harold

2. kemo

kemo R.I.P

Smitty that is all excellent advice. Haroldt hope you enjoy your trip. Make sure your bike is ready for the trip, good tires especially. I have ridden 81 from Canada down to the Poconos, excellent highway

3. Dr. Dolittle

Dr. Dolittle Experienced Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

If you're not in a hurry to get there, the Blue Ridge Parkway would cover over 400 miles of that trip and be a lot prettier than the super-slab!

4. eleft36

eleft36 Junior Member

I-64 west out of Richmond to I-81 north.

Al

5. 92FXRS

92FXRS Active Member

I would be very wary of I-77 North from Charlotte, NC to the Va. State Line.
    There are large areas of it that are concrete which gives you the "washboard"
    ride & there are millions of road patches also. Follow eleft36's advise & use
    I-95 to Richmond, then I-64 West, all good riding

6. sporty92

sporty92 Member

eleft is right, made that trip a couple times...have a great trip....:D

Attached Files:

7. martin14

martin14 Active Member

Thank you Smitty !

just getting ready for my own ride from Spain to Italy,
    should happen in a week or so.
    just packed spare pair of specs.. thanks again :D

and Haroldt, you have a good trip too !

8. Mattman4403

Mattman4403 Junior Member

My wife and I have done up to three weeks on the bike. We carry three days worth of cloths and do laundry along the way. Smitty is pretty much spot on with what you need. If you are going to Syracuse, check out Dynosaur Bar B Q. Neat place and some great food.

9. Fossil

Fossil Active Member

Do the ride. If you find out it isn't your thing then take the Amtrak train back to Orlando. You can ship your motorcycle from the Orlando area to Virginia and back. You furnish and do the tie down to a pallet. This us the only auto train now. Of course I encourage you to do the ride. Fossil

10. nester024

nester024 Member

I'm planning on going from Palm Beach to NYC myself mid-June, can't wait to see some actual SCENERY again!