free website stats program From Florida to NY | Harley Davidson Forums

From Florida to NY

haroldt

I'm planing a solo trip from Melbourne Florida to upstate NY (Syracuse area) on my 98 Heritage. I've been riding since 2005 and have logged over 27k. While never having taken on this type of a ride, I do ride the interstates often and have done several 2, 3, 4 hour trips.

Has anyone made this trip?

I will be taking 95 north and was concerned about driving around DC, it's scary enough in a car. I was told about taking 95 to I-26 in South Carolina to I-77 and then north to I-81. Any thoughts?

I've been reading the Touring section of this site and getting some good ideas. Besides the obvious thinks like getting the bike checked and wearing clean underwear... what words of wisdom might you fine folks bestow upon me.

I'm getting excited and am counting the weeks. Thank you - Harold

Smitty that is all excellent advice. Haroldt hope you enjoy your trip. Make sure your bike is ready for the trip, good tires especially. I have ridden 81 from Canada down to the Poconos, excellent highway

If you're not in a hurry to get there, the Blue Ridge Parkway would cover over 400 miles of that trip and be a lot prettier than the super-slab!

I would be very wary of I-77 North from Charlotte, NC to the Va. State Line.
There are large areas of it that are concrete which gives you the "washboard"
ride & there are millions of road patches also. Follow eleft36's advise & use
I-95 to Richmond, then I-64 West, all good riding

eleft is right, made that trip a couple times...have a great trip....:D

Attachments

• Chillin.JPG
    Chillin.JPG
    118.1 KB · Views: 17
Use post office to mail home anything you buy on the trip
Have an extra key for the bike some were
Keep cash and cards in different place lose one not both
Any thing strapped on the bike can fall off the bike
Rain Gear can help warm you up a bit if the weather gets cool
Double your fun return a different route.
Plan trip so your daily rides are easy better to enjoy than log miles
If your staying in motels do not pack soap shampoo ect they have it there free
If you stay in motel leave nothing on the bike when in the room.
very hot days leave early break mid day ride later
cool days leave latter ride hard mid day
Interstates are for making time the blue lines on the map
The red ones are more fun Mix them up when you can
It will be warm when you leave and most of the trip but were your going can get cold quick, have some warm gear.
If you wear glasses have your extra pair packed some were.
Now this is not a joke a small can of pledge and couple micro fiber rags to clean windshield amd lights with you are going to find ever bug known to man. You do not want to be forced to use the gas station junk to clean it.
Enjoy your trip we expect pictures

Thank you Smitty !

just getting ready for my own ride from Spain to Italy,
should happen in a week or so.
just packed spare pair of specs.. thanks again :D

and Haroldt, you have a good trip too !

My wife and I have done up to three weeks on the bike. We carry three days worth of cloths and do laundry along the way. Smitty is pretty much spot on with what you need. If you are going to Syracuse, check out Dynosaur Bar B Q. Neat place and some great food.

Do the ride. If you find out it isn't your thing then take the Amtrak train back to Orlando. You can ship your motorcycle from the Orlando area to Virginia and back. You furnish and do the tie down to a pallet. This us the only auto train now. Of course I encourage you to do the ride. Fossil

Back