free website stats program Fork oil | Harley Davidson Forums

Fork oil

I forgot my manual at work of all places. Anyone know how much oil in the front forks of an 05 RK custom? Is it 11 ounces in each fork?

I forgot my manual at work of all places. Anyone know how much oil in the front forks of an 05 RK custom? Is it 11 ounces in each fork?

That is what my '91 Dyna takes. Measure what comes out, and start with that much back in. Adjust as necessary based on the feel of the ride. Just make sure the air gap in both sides is the same within 1/8". Must be upright and level to measure this, and in the same place on both sides.

TQ

Will you be taking the legs out of the bike for this oil change? It's hard to get the legs both fully extended and vertical if you don't.

I was hoping I wouldn't have to remove the forks completely. The manual makes it seem like a fairly easy procedure. Maybe I should just take it to the
Harley shop.

You can change the fluid on the bike, it is just more thorough if you remove, but you need to jack the bike up to extend the front fork completely so the drain is fairly complete. I suppose you could raise and lower bike a bit, but never tried that...!

Here is a video on how it is done (if you choose to take off the bike to squeeze and flush the last bits and prime them so no air bubbles are trapped (if you do it on the bike statically), no air bubbles and you just "approximate" the air gap using a turkey baster with the spring out...just my way (my approach being more interested in getting the junk oil out...and change more often).

http://www.hdtimeline.com/chassis_suspension_and_front_end/29196-lowering_kit_installation.html

Hoop, you are correct, I was incomplete in that this is the video to show how you access the top to remove the springs and spacer so you have a straight shot at the fluid below ONLY. The drains are on the lower forks, and use what looks like a Phillips screw BUT it has a dimple on it indicating it is METRIC...here is where you use a hand impact tool, but only for the tight fitting bit and large handgripping surface to remove it without drama. Drain in a measuring cup, noting that it should be around 11oz. Use new fastener plug (just my way cause I prefer stainless steel and Allen head). I use Bel Ray, 7.5Wt (stock is 5Wt) cause I like the ride soft like stock, maybe a little bit stiffer, reassemble and repeat for the other side. Sorry, as I feel the removal of the top stanchion cap is the "trickiest" deal of the whole operation. :D

How do you measure the air gap?

I like to keep things simple. I measure at the back of the tube putting a "popsicle stick" into the tube until I know it is in the oil. Mark the high mark at the edge of the tube on the stick. Measure from the mark to the oil stain. Do the same thing on the other side. Throw those two sticks away. Add oil to whichever side is low, and repeat. When both sides are at the same level (within 1/8"), button it up and back it out!

TQ

what looks like a Phillips screw BUT it has a dimple on it indicating it is METRIC

Didn't know that NewHD - is that the standard on these bikes in that a dimple indicates metric? Is there a mix of metric and SAE fasteners on these bikes? (now why would they do that :newsmile040:)

I like to keep things simple. I measure at the back of the tube putting a "popsicle stick" into the tube until I know it is in the oil. Mark the high mark at the edge of the tube on the stick. Measure from the mark to the oil stain. Do the same thing on the other side. Throw those two sticks away. Add oil to whichever side is low, and repeat. When both sides are at the same level (within 1/8"), button it up and back it out!

TQ

Nice way of measuring the air gap TQ - was wondering on that myself...thx

Back