free website stats program First Service, Used Bike. | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

First Service, Used Bike.

I agree with the comments above about fluid choices for YOUR bike. Check out the terabytes worth of discussion on the site, and then decide what YOU are comfortable with. That said, here is some generic guidance:

Generic fluid recommendations

Engine: FULL synthetic 20W50 VTwin engine oil
Tranny: FULL synthetic 75W140 GL-5 gear lube
Primary: Fit-for-purpose chaincase/wet clutch lubricant (like HD Formula + or Spectro Primary, Redline Primary, etc.)

TQ

I also agree with the majority. Read and decide for your situation and comfort level. I ride an '04 FLSTCI that I purchased used. I have been running Amsoil in all my vehicles for a few years with no problems, so I put it in the Harley as well. And, yes, it use it in all three holes. This has been so for over a year and no complaints at all. Just my $.02.

Up-date: Well had enough time to really try the oils. Left Syn3 in the motor, runs very nice. Ran for awhile with syn3 in the primary but changed the tranny to Mobil 1 syn. gear oil. Still had some quirks, gears thunking and neut. did not come easy. Shifted over to Redline primary and Redline heavy with shock in the tranny. Just came back from a 100 mile river road run with my 14 yr old on the back. Tranny shifts and neuts beautifully and the clutch feels (may be my imagination) like it engages and dis-engages hot or cold with the same feel... Before with syn3 the clutch felt like it pulled out harder as it got hotter...
Bubbie: you were 100% correct, 3 holes means 3 types of lube. Lesson learned. A bit of a heads up to whom ever reads this, I was totally un-prepared for what the Redline lubes look like :small3d031:. Kinda wierded me out when I went to pour it in the funnel, thought for sure that someone switched the oil for Barn Paint. Not quite as bad for the primary lube, more like Peto-B...
The plus side is it is easier to see on the dip stick than the almost clear Mobil 1... Again many thanks to all who responded to the thread...
Rick kc2htv

Up-date: Well had enough time to really try the oils. Left Syn3 in the motor, runs very nice. Ran for awhile with syn3 in the primary but changed the tranny to Mobil 1 syn. gear oil. Still had some quirks, gears thunking and neut. did not come easy. Shifted over to Redline primary and Redline heavy with shock in the tranny. Just came back from a 100 mile river road run with my 14 yr old on the back. Tranny shifts and neuts beautifully and the clutch feels (may be my imagination) like it engages and dis-engages hot or cold with the same feel... Before with syn3 the clutch felt like it pulled out harder as it got hotter...
Bubbie: you were 100% correct, 3 holes means 3 types of lube. Lesson learned. A bit of a heads up to whom ever reads this, I was totally un-prepared for what the Redline lubes look like :small3d031:. Kinda wierded me out when I went to pour it in the funnel, thought for sure that someone switched the oil for Barn Paint. Not quite as bad for the primary lube, more like Peto-B...
The plus side is it is easier to see on the dip stick than the almost clear Mobil 1... Again many thanks to all who responded to the thread...
Rick kc2htv

YES. BELIEVE what I SAY

I made it BIG so others Will see and Heed:D

signed....BUBBIE

I too am a Red Line convert because of info and opinions posted here. The difference in tranny operation is beyond remarkable. Based on that alone I will stay with all Red Line products from now on, if the tranny fluid works that good I have confidence the rest of thier products must be equally suited for thier purpose's.

YEP,,,, You Can't beat Redline's ShockProof Heavy in a Tranny.

IT works and quiets it down. Smooths out the shifting.
Used for years in racing bikes, getting World Records and is so good that it cushions the gears Not allowing metal to metal contact.

signed....BUBBIE

I agree with BUBBIE here. I tried REDLINE (at his advise) with the shockproof in the tranny - it WORKS great. I recommend you just try it. I think I paid about $12 for quart at "cycle gear" right off the shelf. Plus it is full synthetic and I wont be changing my transmission fluid for a good many miles - I mean like 10-15 thousand miles.

Bill

I agree with BUBBIE here. I tried REDLINE (at his advise) with the shockproof in the tranny - it WORKS great. I recommend you just try it. I think I paid about $12 for quart at "cycle gear" right off the shelf. Plus it is full synthetic and I wont be changing my transmission fluid for a good many miles

- I mean like 10-15 thousand miles.

Bill

Harley Calls out for a change at 20,000 miles in their service booklet on the newer bikes.
(should of been lenghtened out years ago)

The Geeks at Redline said their ShockProof would easily go 40,000 miles but suggested to follow HD's change guidlines of-corse.

I'm putting ShockProof Heavy in my front and rear pots on my Jeep soon.

I will also change out the jeeps 6 speed tranny lube to the MTL lube, that will work good in there.

The Az's. HEAT is a BIG negitave factor on Longevity and the Redline products are made to Help reverse that problem...:D

signed....BUBBIE

YEP,,,, Oil is like a Religion, Mine Mine Mine is the right one or the best...

I would say, LOOK at the many Threads on Tranny Noise and what to use and Not to use. NO SIN 3. (.)

I'm surprised they still recommend that stuff (sin3) let alone for all THREE HOLES.

Three Holes MEANS 3 different PROPER Lubes.

Engine OIL
Primary Lube (wet clutch approved)
GEAR OIL for a tranny

My choices are Redline Products.

20/50 Redline in the engine

Redline MTL in the Primary (V-Twin Primary lube by Redline is the same product , just a different label for Motor Cycle use and 3$ more a quart)

You Can't beat Redline's ShockProof Heavy in a Tranny.

IT works and quiets it down. Smooths out the shifting.
Used for years in racing bikes, getting World Records and is so good that it cushions the gears Not allowing metal to metal contact.

YES OIL IS a RELIGION....

Go get the one you want but Careful....By the time you TRY all, Your bike and wallet Will Be Worn out.:D

Learn from the best: Ones that have USED their Spouted Product Not the ones that JUST Tried it.

signed....BUBBIE

BUBBIE - what is Redline MTL for the primary? Do you know the Redline part number? Thanks.

BUBBIE - what is Redline MTL for the primary? Do you know the Redline part number? Thanks.

The MTL is Redline and the same as the V-twin labeled product...

MTL comes in a yellow labeled bottle and IS the SAME product

as the V-twin primary lube by redline.. Says so here on this link...

(but color MTL red and V-twin primary clear or ?)

Thiis link is High on prices. You can find better deals Looking on the different outlets that sell on line.

Harley Davidson Community

copied below is from that site link above : Redline

V-Twin Primary Case Oil
For 1984-to-present V-Twin American motorcycle engines, including Evolution, Twin Cam, and aftermarket engines of similar design
Same fluid as our famous MTL gear oil
Improves clutch operation while reducing wear and temperature
Where most synthetics are too slippery for clutch operation, this friction-balanced product is balanced to provide less slip, smoother operation, and helps to apply more power in modified engines
This product is for use in the primary chaincase with wet-diaphragm spring clutches.

V-Twin Primary Case Oil - $14.49
Quantity

signed....BUBBIE

Thanks for the tip on useing Redline for the Jeep. I will have to do that next week. Saturday is a Charity Run for Jacob. Lookin forward to BBQ and a 100 mile poker run. If it had not been for the lubes I would not have attemped it.
Bike ran pretty rough with the Syn 3 in all 3 holes, will not use that Harley Shop again... No biggy as there are 4 more all about the same distance.
I could not find Redline's product anywhere in my area of up-state NY, so I went on line and found, Racer Parts Wholesale. Had 2 QTs each, of primary and tranny lube in 2 days. Rate their prices as very good and their service was excellant.
Time to see if I can get a quick ride in between Thunder boomers. :bigsmiley12:
kc2htv

Back