free website stats program First gear grinding | Harley Davidson Forums

First gear grinding

Jack49

I thought my clutch needed to be adjusted but I'm not sure now. I followed all the directions supplied hear on this site. Did everything after the bike sat overnite (COLD) but I still can't get first gear to go in without grinding. Maybe something else is going on? Prior to this I noticed that the clutch was not completely releasing at times. At a red light in first gear, clutch depressed the bike wanted to move forward and neutral was very difficult to find. Then one day I started it and first gear felt very sponge and it was grinding. If I hit it hard it went into gear (not what I wanted to do). Any ideas or suggestions would help. Its an '08 Ultra 96cu almost 28,000 miles.

First off, Welcome from So. Texas. After you adjusted the clutch did the creeping at a light,etc., stop? Check your fluid levels in tranny & primary. Also check your primary chain tension. If it is to tight it could be putting the clutch in a bind. To do that check you will have to remove your Outer Primary cover because yours is auto adjust.
tourbox

I agree with what tourbox has said in addition while I had the primary cover off I would pull the clutch from the clutch basket and clean and inspect the plates. I solved a problem very similar to these by changing to a lighter weight oil in the primary. Oil level in the primary can effect clutch performance.

Hey tourbox, The creeping at the light happen the day before first gear started grinding, but it does not creep now. Trying to go into first gear it feels mushy and grinds unless I hit it real hard. How do I check the primary chain tensioner?

Hey tourbox, The creeping at the light happen the day before first gear started grinding, but it does not creep now. Trying to go into first gear it feels mushy and grinds unless I hit it real hard. How do I check the primary chain tensioner?

TRY a different clutch adjustment....
I could NEVER get Mr Data's (glider) to work..

My method is the one closest to HD's...

Other problems could be the clutch cable/outer case worn,,, or NOT the proper 1/16 MIN at the ferrule (clutch handle)

Always hold the clutch handle full in and count a slow 5...... Then PRESS/shift it into gear

TRY this one in below Link......

Harley Davidson Forums

signed....BUBBIE

What do you run for primary lube? Have you checked all the linkages ?

Never did Ask:

Do you have the stock grips on you bike and/or NO fancy frilly dodads in the way of your clutch handle's FULL Squeeze?

signed....BUBBIE

Never did Ask:

Do you have the stock grips on you bike and/or NO fancy frilly dodads in the way of your clutch handle's FULL Squeeze?

signed....BUBBIE

Quote Mat........Sorry but..........Fancy frilly dodads...:newsmile100:

Remember the NEW rules:bigsmiley30:

Laugh IF you want..... Lots of times it is that simple of a Cause...

One rider I know had problems shifting into and out of gear... Had Fancy Leathers around the grips and Tossels streaming off that...

Thinking he needed a clutch adjustment...

I asked him;
Now how are you going to get a FULL Clutch Pull with them Frilleys in the way.....??????????

That is why I like to ask them frilly questions...:newsmile105:

Maybe HUMOR for you but a LOT Of WISDOM from Me.......

signed....BUBBIE

Back