free website stats program First gear grinding | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

First gear grinding

What I said was said was in fun and no disrespect to you was meant so I think Im with in the NEW rules...:bigsmiley30:... Now that I no where your coming from I will say nothing more to you sir...

Remember the NEW rules:bigsmiley30:

Laugh IF you want..... Lots of times it is that simple of a Cause...

One rider I know had problems shifting into and out of gear... Had Fancy Leathers around the grips and Tossels streaming off that...

Thinking he needed a clutch adjustment...

I asked him;
Now how are you going to get a FULL Clutch Pull with them Frilleys in the way.....??????????

That is why I like to ask them frilly questions...:newsmile105:

Maybe HUMOR for you but a LOT Of WISDOM from Me.......

signed....BUBBIE

BUBBIE I think we all got it, but you have to admit "Fancy Frilly Doodads" coming from a BUBBIE post is pretty funny. :bigsmiley8:

OK, thanks for the funnies, but the bike is all standard stuff no "Fancy Frilly Doodads". I really could use some advice on the grinding of going into first gear. How do I go about adjusting the primary chain.
Is it pretty straight forward by just looking at it. Is that mentioned in the help section of this forum? Thanks

Jack go back to post #5 and try BUBBIES clutch adjustment. If that fails to help you will have to remove the primary cover and check the primary chain to see if it is too tight. If you don't have a manual now would be a good time to get one. There is a procedure in the self help section to adjust the primary chain while running the bike you might give it a try first.

I'm not real familiar with the new auto-adj. primary tensioner. I haven't had to check mine as yet because I never had to go into the primary. I will check my manual and get back to you. I have a '12 UC and it should be the same as yours.
I may be wrong but I would think you release the tension by hand and reset it by hand,sort of. I would then check the link posted prior for the road adjustment. I've done that myself for mine.
tourbox

Jack49,

There IS help here and you only need to say IF you tried it.

The clutch is the first thing mentioned to check and get it Correct... IF it still grinds then we'll go on from there.

You can check for a Too Tight or Loose primary chain on these bikes...

Derby cover Off, Long screwdriver, flashlight.

Take the screwdriver toward the inner left setting the blade Under the chain (top part).. (middle of open space, between the clutch and the compensator)

The correct tension allows the chain to be lifted about 3/4 of an inch... Yes it is spring loaded to move that much... IF you can't get movement out of it there, It may be tooooo tight.

Mind you Nothing is found in a Book about this type of Check.. IT is our FOUND way to check it.

Taking off the primary outer cover should be the Last resort.(IMO)

Remember here,,, OUR advice is Only Worth the Price YOU paid for it.:D

Keep us up to date where you are on the trouble shooting.

signed....BUBBIE

Great advice BUBBIE. If you don't have to take the primary cover off you're ahead of the game. So Jack try BUBBIES adjustment on the clutch and while you have the derby cover off use his suggestion for checking the primary chain. If it is still giving you problems you may need to take a look inside the primary chain case.

OK, I'll give the screwdriver a try. I have a good mechanical background and I have adjusted the clutch 3 different ways. I've convinced myself that it must be something other than a clutch adjustment. All of the oil levels are good. I do have an appointment at the Harley shop for Thursday but I'm hoping I can fix it before I have to spend a lot of money.

OK, OK, OK.......BINGO...... I did it.......I found the problem. I'm not sure of the name of the parts, but I'll try to explain it as best I can.
I have a toe/heal shifter. Where the toe shifter goes through the primary case and connects to the shift linkage is where I found the problem. Either the hole in the arm or the rod that it attaches to must be stripped and the rod worked itself out about a 1/2 inch. It seems to be real sloppy. When I squeezed everything back together it went into and out of first gear very easily and no grinding. That's one for the book. Guys thanks for the help and I'll check back tomorrow. Oh, I tried putting a long thin screwdriver in to check the primary chain tension and it was OK. Did I mention I love my Harley again.

In checking the manual for adjustment. It says to move the wedge rearward and then push down on the shoe. The shoe is the part,plastic looking, that the primary chain rides on. There is no description of what the wedge is. There is a spring with a roll pin on one end of the bottom mounting plate. I would think the wedge would be between the spring and the shoe. The spring appears to set the tension for the shoe. I didn't see any adjustment amount for free play on the primary chain. I would think BUBBIE's amount of 3/4" to be about right. The unit has no replaceable parts. You have to replace the entire unit at about $95. I would certainly use BUBBIE's approach first.
Hope this wasn't to confusing.
tourbox

Back