free website stats program FACE NECK UV PROTECTION - Help!! | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

FACE NECK UV PROTECTION - Help!!

There are only two options I can think of:
1.) Chemical
2.) Physical

So, for whatever reason, you don't want the lotion (chemical, but it still a physical blocker, if you get into the weeds on how it works).

I don't understand when you type that bandanas don't work. I have TIG welded stainless for 4 hours, inside a polished tank and a bandana protected my neck from reflected UV. That UV is more intense than riding in the sun for a week straight. Some UV is reflected up, so if your bandana is blowing around, you could get sunburned under you chin and neck. Is some of the irritation "wind burn" as opposed to UV burn? Do you ride with a full face helmet? I am guessing that you don't wear a full face helmet. With a tinted visor, that would significantly decrease your exposure.

The only one-piece item I can think of is that would be something like an "Under Armor" face mask. I where it in the winter to keep something over my skin. It would not be hot in the summer since it is so thin. it covers your entire head and neck, except for an oval around your eyes. Add sunglasses and you are about 98% covered. It is a very tight weave fabric so not much will get through. I have a pretty big mellon and it is confortable for me.

For me, when the temp is above 75F, I ride till I have to fill up the tank and my riding habit is:
1) Get something to drink to stay hydrated.
2) Never pass up a chance to use the restroom. There I typically wash my face when I wash my hands and add more sunscreen. I have Rosacia. For me a little sun helps a bit it seems, but a sunburn is really painful, so I avoid it.

Yes I have full face. Only wear it in freezing cold wx.

My bandana is tucked into my shirt so it does not blow up. Sun goes right thru my HD bandana. got me bad.

I use Neutrogina Helioplex (MD recommended) but it is is PIA to keep applying, messy, etc.... and I want something btr sine I ride 7 days a wk under the sun.

The Under Armour HEATGear is NOT UV rated. Wicks moisture yes but NOT UV rated.

A response (above from anothr biker) talked abt a BUFF. That is UV (hopefully A and B) rated. Covers face and neck. I can use my 1/2 helmet. I am going to order 2 of them.

Yes, I do have a black visor I use all the time.

GREATLY APPRECIATE your and ALL of the responses a great deal. VERY indebted to you all.

This is a GREAT palce to get very good ideas!!

THANK YOU ALL very much. I will still be checking in for more comments if any.

THANK YOU ALL AGAIN!!!!!!

BuzzCap7

Wow...tough one b/c lotion's probably your best bet for UVA/B protection & longest lasting. My wife gets us the Coppertone "faces only" lotion & it works good for me, but definitely re-apply during hot/sunny days (which is annoying). I've already experienced skin cancer on neck & forehead which probably started many years ago, but no need to tempt fate. Hope you find a solution, but you do get to enjoy riding a ton of miles...

Back