free website stats program Extra hose at gastank??? | Harley Davidson Forums

Extra hose at gastank???

Guy Rand

I went from thinking it was bad plug wires, to a bad coil, but all tested good. As finances allowed, I decided to take your advice and replace the ckp sensor. It ohm'd out o.k., but you could see the metallic magnet. When I got the new one, and it was coated in plastic, I was hopeful that I found the problem. It was all going so well, but.........

Thanks to those who steered me tword the ckp sensor, I changed it out, and now the bike will at least run on both cylinders. After starting it up, it idled a little rough, and would die once in a while. It would only stay running with the choke pulled, and I mean just barely stay running. It has been several weeks since the bike had run, so I adjusted the idle up just a tad. This seemed to do the trick. I decided to tempt fate, and head out around the block. I didn't make it half way down the street when I knew something was wrong.

It cuts out pretty bad. Every time I increase the throttle, it starts to cut out. If you hold the idle steady, not so bad, but as soon as you try to accelerate, it cuts out bad. Any ideas?

Re: Not a bad coil, bad ckp, but still trouble

Since you say "choke", it's a carb bike. Try draining the float bowl. It may need dissassembly and a thorough cleaning. Did it sit for long? The float bowl can be drained from the left side with a looong screwdriver.

Here is the Self Help Tip that shows the exploded views of the carb and nomenclature. As Breeze says the drain plug screw is on the float bowl...drain in a small glass so you can see what "junk" drains out...also take a whiff, it smells like varnish...that is likely what is in the low lying areas of the fuel tank as well as gumming up the inlet filter/screen.

http://www.hdtimeline.com/fuel_and_carb_related_issues/11048-cv_breakdown_pic.html

Since you say "choke", it's a carb bike. Try draining the float bowl. It may need dissassembly and a thorough cleaning. Did it sit for long? The float bowl can be drained from the left side with a looong screwdriver.

I went from thinking it was bad plug wires, to a bad coil, but all tested good. As finances allowed, I decided to take your advice and replace the ckp sensor. It ohm'd out o.k., but you could see the metallic magnet. When I got the new one, and it was coated in plastic, I was hopeful that I found the problem. It was all going so well, but.........

Thanks to those who steered me tword the ckp sensor, I changed it out, and now the bike will at least run on both cylinders. After starting it up, it idled a little rough, and would die once in a while. It would only stay running with the choke pulled, and I mean just barely stay running. It has been several weeks since the bike had run, so I adjusted the idle up just a tad. This seemed to do the trick. I decided to tempt fate, and head out around the block. I didn't make it half way down the street when I knew something was wrong.

It cuts out pretty bad. Every time I increase the throttle, it starts to cut out. If you hold the idle steady, not so bad, but as soon as you try to accelerate, it cuts out bad. Any ideas?

This is the Long drawn out problem with all the possible things checked out.. Right?......
I thought it to be the CPS and at least you got it running again... The intake manifold needs to be checked for a Leak..

When you had the carb apart, Did You put the Pump ROD Linkage Back Into the Side position on the float bowl??? This is easy to not get right and to Not have in the hole.

signed....BUBBIE

Well, not to worry. It had been turned over so many times without running, the plugs got fouled out. A good scrubbin' got most of the junk off, and it made it run good. I went to parts store on Saturday, and picked up a new set of plugs. I think all is well.....thanks for the tips, I'll keep them for future use.

I need to take my gas tank off to replace the overflow line. I seem to have an extra line that I don't know where it goes. It is a 3/8 or larger line. It looks like a fuel line, but has an insert which makes it a really small opening. It looks like it could come from my instrument cluster, but I can't figure out where it goes. Any ideas?

I need to take my gas tank off to replace the overflow line. I seem to have an extra line that I don't know where it goes. It is a 3/8 or larger line. It looks like a fuel line, but has an insert which makes it a really small opening. It looks like it could come from my instrument cluster, but I can't figure out where it goes. Any ideas?

Is It the Vacuum line OFF the Gas Tank Shut-off Valve?

Does it ??? go to the carb or are you fuel injected?

Looked thru my FXDS 2000 book and saw nothing to help.

signed....BUBBIE

What should it connect to, and where? I looked in my manual, and it looks like it could connect to the overflow, but I took a separate line off there to replace it. Does it connect at the bottom of the tank?

It is a carb bike. Not sure exactly what it connects to, haven't pulled the tank all the way off yet....

Last edited by a moderator:
It could be for a vacuum fuel valve or a vapor canister if the bike has one. The small opening you refer to may be a nipple that broke off and is stuck in the hose.

Back