free website stats program Engine swap from a 2006 to an 86 frame | Harley Davidson Forums

Engine swap from a 2006 to an 86 frame

dirt2race

Hey everyone, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to the Harley V-Twins. I have extensive expereience with Can-Am Outlanders/Renegades which have V-Twins also. Not much of a comparrison, but I do have years of mechanical experience, but like I said, very little on Harley's, so I'm diving in head first.

I bought an 86 FLH with a 1340 in it. It is running, but looks REALLY bad. I found a complete 2006 1450 from an 04' Road King with primary, secondary, 6 speed trans, wiring harness, and a Power Commander for it. My main question, what am I am going to go through to swap these out. I am assuming the tank will have be changed since I'm going from a carb to FI. I also assume I will have to cut mounts out to install the newer engine/trans. I am prepared to change out the front end and replace it with the newer style fairing and gauges. Will either change out the bags to a stretched look or cut these and stretch them along with the rear fender.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, even if it's bad news, I'm commited to making this work. I have built a few high end custom ATV's and I'm ready to try my hand at a touring bike. Thanks in advance

Sorry, should have proof read before posting. I am swapping a 1450 from an 04' Road King to and 86 FLH.

Last edited by a moderator:
04 RK came with a 5 speed.What make of trans. is the six speed?

I agree about the trans being a 5 speed in the 04. While you may be proficient at wrenching on motors and you might even be a great welder, but what you are considering is a very costly changeover. If it were me I would be looking into the HD Motor Remanfacture Program. Also how do you know what shape the repalcement motor is in?

I honestly have not verified wether it's a 5 or 6 speed. I thought the 6 speeds all had it on the side and this does not. As far as the condition of the engine, I am rebuilding it, I have done a couple of top ends on EVO's in the past 6 months, I've just never gone down this road of swapping engines. I don't want to do the remanufacture program as I am wanting to gain experience with the engines, and I am also intent on switching it to a Fuel Injection system for tuning purposes. I know this is not the most cost effective path, I am basically wanting to gain the maximum experience in this project. When I build the custom Can-Ams that I do, they are unlike anything else. That's what I want to do with this. Not that I think mine are better, which, if I'm being honest, I actually do, but I want them to be different. I'm sure this first build will be a Royal Pain, but I want to learn the entire bike and all years at once, which I think this will shorten my learning curve or totally discourage me....LOL

Trust me when I tell you, I have Very little knowledge of Harleys, a couple of top end rebuilds and that is it, so I have a long way to go and I was hoping some of the forums like this one would be a good place to get some much needed guidance.

I have done a little research this morning Steve, and I called the guy back, the engine he installed in his bike has a 6 speed. This one is a 5 speed. I misunderstood what he was telling me. Thanks for the reply

Here is a picture of the ATV I am currently building. It is a 975 V-Twin with large cams, head work, and will produce around 100 HP to the tires. This is just to give you a gauge of what I am wanting to achieve with bike building, but I have to start somewhere. Disregaurd the wheels/tires but this is what I mainly build. Every part on it is completely disassemble measured, checked, and reassemble with new seals, bearings, etc. I am honestly not showing off my builds, I'm just giving you my goal, and it is basically to gain enough knowledge and experience with Harley's to use my experience, talents and facility to build some one off bikes. Thanks again for any advice, I know it's not going to be easy, but I am going forward with this swap so any help will be greatly appreciated.

InstalledClutches_zps1868feba.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
wiring harness, and a Power Commander for it.

The power commander is of little help to get the bike running because you still need an ECM. When you say that you have the wiring harness, does that include the fuse caddy, voltage regulator and ion coil pack?

If I was doing it, I think I would just convert it to a T-Max system. I am pretty sure that would be a whole lot cheaper than running a factory HD ECM (especially if you don't have it).
On the good side, at least that year was an open loop system without O2 sensors.

It does have the ECM, however, no fuse carrier or coil pack or voltage regulator. I am also assuming I'll have to have to have guages to interface with the ECM. My biggest concern at this point is fitting the newer engine into the space.

Anything can be made to fit. With enough cutting and welding the twin cam will probably fit in the space. You also have the problem of alignment as the '86 frame had a 130 rear tire and the '06 I think was a 150.

Just my .02, but If it were me, I would throw the money at the Evo in the bike now. A couple of grand (which is what you'll be looking at easily with your planned conversion) would really wake that motor up. I would redo the top end, throw new higher compression pistons and rings,a cam and possibly some headwork if needed. I'm sure you'd be pleased with the results and possibly save some headaches. Don't get me wrong, I love wrenching and don't mind a challenge, but even a swap like that is something I don't think I'd wanna attempt.

Admittedly, my memory isn't what it used to be, but I recall in an issue of American Bagger, someone did a similar conversion. If memory serves, it was a southern bike builder, but maybe the mag can give you some more info.

Admittedly, my memory isn't what it used to be, but I recall in an issue of American Bagger, someone did a similar conversion. If memory serves, it was a southern bike builder, but maybe the mag can give you some more info.

I believe it was Hawg Halters "black velvet." They took an existing 88 and had it rebuilt to a 95.
WAP.gif

Back