free website stats program Engine noise on Ultra Limited | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Engine noise on Ultra Limited

IMO, Noise is an indication of a problem and won't be solved by changing oil brands. I have to Agree with Tank here, I too do not think NO I know even a heavier weight oil be it syn or Dino would only mask the real problem, Like I tell my customers it is like a band aid on a broken leg, We need to have cause to equal affect JMO from turning wrenches all my life

Ken,
If the same viscosity synthetic motor oils are being used then I personally would not expect additional noise in the valve train when different brands of Syn motor oils are used on the same bike (motor).

Radar,
The question to be asked is what viscosity of oil are you using as glider asked above. The brand is not the issue IMO.

All Synthetic oils have uniformly shaped molecules that do a better job of lubricating. They also have no extras in them as do conventional oils. No matter how much you refine a conventional motor oil there will still be unwanted (non-value) contaminants in the oil. With a true Syn that is not the case, it is free of the extras.

A V Twin motor runs hot and its oil is very different than the oil you will find in a water cooled motor. In all brands of V Twin motor oil (syn and conventional) you will always have an additive package that is designed for the conditions that motor presents to the oil. Chemical additives are added to the oil as the last line of defense to control wear if the motor gets so hot that the oil breaks down. These additives have an attraction to metal surfaces and create a sacrificial coating on engine parts. If contact occurs the additive coating takes the abuse to minimize component wear.

IMO, Noise is an indication of a problem and won't be solved by changing oil brands.

I am running Mobil 1 V-Twin 20w50 with HD filter since the bike turned 1k miles.

IMO, your oil is good. The proper viscosity is what is important and you are using a 20W-50. Also you have chosen an oil designed for a V-Twin. Changing oil is not going to solve this noise problem.

At this point you need to look at the valve train/lifters. If it is under warranty then take it in for the dealer to address the issue.

If not in warranty below is some good reading to get your bearings....

Hydraulic Lifters - Harley Davidson Community

Valve Noises - Harley Davidson Community

Adjusting Pushrods - Harley Davidson Community

My bike is still under warranty until April 12. My problem is that I have not been able to get my bike to exhibit this noise at the dealership. It seems to generally only do it after being ridden for a long distance (150-200+ miles) and then turned off. If I leave it off for approx. 60 min. or more, it will exhibit this noise upon restarting. It also did this for an extended time (2 plus minutes) after my last oil change.

Even on RECORD, I have NOT had any luck with HD AFTER the 2 year warranty is over... Try to get it fixed under their Dime Now......

Just saying...

signed....BUBBIE

I've sent you a couple detailed PM's but for the other readers here....

IF you fill the oil filter ONCE to the threaded area and let it sit upright for a minute or two ------ while bike is on the side stand, install filter the normal way, No oil will run out...... The oil pressure Will get up Quicker and LESS noise and wear on the engine parts..:D

Most gauges and engines WON'T show and run the EXACT same..... Each motor and Gauge is an individual unit and that is that, oil pressure CLOSE is close enough ..... saying a few pounds of oil pressure less or more doesn't make a problem.

signed....BUBBIE

I've sent you a couple detailed PM's but for the other readers here....

IF you fill the oil filter ONCE to the threaded area and let it sit upright for a minute or two ------ while bike is on the side stand, install filter the normal way, No oil will run out...... The oil pressure Will get up Quicker and LESS noise and wear on the engine parts..:D

Most gauges and engines WON'T show and run the EXACT same..... Each motor and Gauge is an individual unit and that is that, oil pressure CLOSE is close enough ..... saying a few pounds of oil pressure less or more doesn't make a problem.

signed....BUBBIE

Got your PM. Thanks. I will definitely fill the oil filter before install on next oil change.

Got your PM. Thanks. I will definitely fill the oil filter before install on next oil change.

Filling that filter is good advice and I do it with all of my vehicles but it did not help or stop the lifter tick on startup for the first 5 or so startups after changing the oil on my 103"
Gary D.

Back