free website stats program Engine noise on 95" with gear drives | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Engine noise on 95" with gear drives

I was thinking about changing lifters but when I did the build I put in new s&s lifters and I was told and read that the 06 and up dyna's have the up-graded oil pump, also wondering if I got some bad fuel the last couple of tanks and the octane is low, going to add some boast and try it. Do you know if you can run the bike for a minute without the primary cover on, just want to watch something for a bit?
Thanks for all your help guys

I know he bored them honed them to fit the piston as I was going to doing the bore job my self as I'm a machine shop supervisor at the mine here but he strongly recommended he do it for those reasons. He has a professioal race team in the NDRA and builds his own motors and has set records so I'am sure he does. I will check the cams out and if nothing I'am drive like I stole like I always do.

You and I have PM'd back and forth,,,, Thought I would bring this back out...

I have read all the posting again.
You say you still have the noise and nock at slow starting out...

The compression is lower than thought it should be?

you stating around 170 static? I don't think it too low but for the cams size?

Are both cylinders pumping the same pressure,,,, How close are they to each other?

You have enough miles on the bike now to tell IF it is using oil???

I need to look to see what Cams you used? They may be too large of numbers for the piston compression ratio(not static)... Do you have the piston compression ratio THEy state on the box? 9.5/1 or ? 10.0/1 ?
Cam size is one only thing I can say about the lower compression at static levels.... ? on the head gasket used, were they stock thickness?

Answer back and Post a little more,,, maybe we'll get to the bottom of this..

signed....BUBBIE

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

The 32G cams show, 10/46 intake 52/08 exhaust duration of 236/240 with 0.570 lift... ALSO stated that these cams "need" High Lift to .630 when set up...

You said that the engine builder was a pro.... did you ask him about the spring set-up and if this was done.. Just another thought...

I used SS gear drives in my 2000 FXDS with 10.25/1 scm eagle pistons

Similar cams to yours but had a static of 185/187 area. Not far-off from yours.If yours @170 +

signed....BUBBIE

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't remember the compression ratio but will find out, both cylinders are within a pound or two, bike uses no oil and I change it more than enough. He knows all about the high lift heads and springs as that was all changed. When I first fired it up after build ran pretty quiet a little vavle noise and gear drive noise but thats it. Went for a big tour through the u.s. and on my way back noticed it starting to get noisier. Starting to wonder if it is in the rocker boxes, something loose maybe. When I first fire it up cold it is good but then when at operating temp it gets louder. The only way to check for piston slap would be to take apart and measure right. Don't know if I told you this yet but the guy that did my machine work and supplied the parts wants me to pull off the heads and he is going to rework them to the right compression free of charge as he feels I should have more ponies and I agree. Dyno at 90 hp but should 100 plus with the parts I'am using according to him. Check out his website Dan Vance Racing, I was impressed and felt confident in his work. Thanks for all your feedback and help, one way or another it will get fixed.

Back