free website stats program Engine noise on 95" with gear drives | Harley Davidson Forums

Engine noise on 95" with gear drives

kmcnabb

I'am a new member and been reading this forum for quit some time and have a question I would like to put out there. I have 06 street bob and recently put a 95" kit in with K.B. piston, andrews 32g gear drive, s&s lifters and adjustable pushrods and powercommander usb3 and done head work as well. My concern is I have some low rpm knocking/rattle when I take off or lug the motor, and also some valve train noise. I realize I will have more noise with the gear drive set up but anybody have any ideals where to start? Bike runs and performs good.

First are your push rods adjusted right and yes gear drives can be a bit noisey

It could be a loose compensating sprocket. I had mine come loose and rattled in conditions like you are describing.
WAP.gif

Was it a big job to check to see if it was loose, did it slide back and fourth on the shaft, any info would be greatly appreciated

You will have to drain the primary oil and remove the entire primary cover, not just the inspection covers to check. On mine the compensating nut was loose enough to turn by hand. You will have to remove it, clean the threads and then torque to specs using RED loctite. The primary gasket is kinda pricey, about 40-50 bucks.
WAP.gif

Did all that before I started building the motor, my run out was less than .001 so went ahead with the gear drives.

Another possibility could be piston slap if you used forged pistons. But I would rule out loose compensating sprocket nut first. If it is loose it could damage your stator.
WAP.gif

I used keith black pistons and yes they are forged, only have 6500 miles on them, just built the motor in may this year

Back