free website stats program engine build | Harley Davidson Forums

engine build

2006FXDCI

Hobbit, i went to my local dealer and showed him the build we had talked about and to my surprise he has leaned more towards aftermarket parts heres a list of what we discussed for a build, heads done by hillside, axtell 107" kit, woods tw-9-6 cams, stock crank welded and trued by hobans,SE 50 mm throttle body and a d&d exhaust along with roller rockers lifters and various other parts also they use tts tuning he told me it is from the guy who invented the race tuner but it is far superior to it. How does this build look to you or others out there? anything you would add or subtract? Thanks

Hobbit, i went to my local dealer and showed him the build we had talked about and to my surprise he has leaned more towards aftermarket parts heres a list of what we discussed for a build, heads done by hillside, axtell 107" kit, woods tw-9-6 cams, stock crank welded and trued by hobans,SE 50 mm throttle body and a d&d exhaust along with roller rockers lifters and various other parts also they use tts tuning he told me it is from the guy who invented the race tuner but it is far superior to it. How does this build look to you or others out there? anything you would add or subtract? Thanks

It will be strong. The Axtell 107" Mountain motor kit is, IMHO, the best on the market. Hillside has a good rep but there are others just as good; I prefer the guys that are still hand porting. Whoever ports will need to know cam choice. Th Woods cams will make power but with aggressive ramps require high seat pressures and are noisy enough to bother some folks. There are alternative cam choices that will perform but won't require higher seat pressures and won't make as much noise. Hoban Brothers is the best. I am not a tuner but from what I have read, the TTS Mastertune is intuitive and much more user friendly than the SERT and also has auto tune capabilty. You will like it; it is very good combination but that's JMHO.

I run the Axtell 107" kit in my '02 FLHT, crank work by Hoban and heads by another porter, planned and assembled by yours truly. Was running Andrews 32G cams but am replacing the gear drives with the new H-D "hybrid" kit to retro to the hyraulic tensioner/roller chain setup. Let little air out of the 140 so she will bite and she will pull the front wheel in second and probably in third if I knew how to ride!

Hillside does do hand-porting if I'm not mistaken, and they are quite familiar with all versions of Wood cams. That said, there are obviously other shops that can get it done.

also i forgot to metion they are gonna do the timken conversion on the left side for me, Dolt, have you had any problems with your stock connecting rods or did you go with an aftermarket set?

After talking to John Dahmer at Hoban Brothers about the build and based on John's recommendaion, I decided to use the stock rods. The early rods and forged cranks are much stronger than what the MoCo is using these days. I just had the rods checked for tolerance and all was in spec so we left them alone. My '02 already had the Timken bearing, I just had new crank bearings installed. I don't know the model year of yours but give John a call and tell him what you are doing and follow his recommendation.

You didn't mention balance, just trued and welded; assume you will have the crank balanced as well; those 4.125" pistons are a bit bigger than the 3.75" or 3.875" pistons you are currently running.

my bike is an 06 dyna thats why i am opting for the timken conversion and I will be having the crank balanced as well. Do they remove material from the crank to balance it? And why is it more important to do it for the 4.125 pistons and not for the 3.875 pistons i have in my motor now?

2006FXDCI said:
my bike is an 06 dyna thats why i am opting for the timken conversion and I will be having the crank balanced as well. Do they remove material from the crank to balance it? And why is it more important to do it for the 4.125 pistons and not for the 3.875 pistons i have in my motor now?

It's not more important to balance for the larger piston. It is importany that Hoban know the weight of the piston you are using. The Axtell pistons are very consistent in weight and all John needs to know is which kit/piston you are using; they know how much it weighs. The crank is statically balance, not dynamically balanced; you are not building a precision piece of machinery. The larger pistons are forged and will weigh more than the 3.875" pistons. If they need to, they will remove weight by removing it from the crank wheels by drilling very shallow 'dimples'.

2006FXDCI said:
Also DOLT what kind of numbers are your 107" motor making?

Haven't had it dyno tuned yet and am already changing cams. My head porter has dyno sheets from a couple of near identical builds and TQ/HP are in the 120/115 range with some variances from exhaust systems. I will get it on the dyno once I get the cams changed out.

dolt, what clutch are you using on your 107" the dealer is telling me to go with my stock clutch and the heavy spring, the one in the SE catalog. I was thinking of using the SE clutch hub. Also he is pointing me more towards baisley to port and polish my stock heads along with springs and valves, they seem kinda expensive compared to some other shops. are they worth it?

I,m running a 113 with the harley clutch and i dodn,t baby it been running for 9 yrs finnaly started slipping pulled it down and found a split spring so i got the heavy one grabs like right now but its a bear to pull going to try one of the easy pull cams other wise i,m going to switch it out it,s way to hard on the hand,jel

Back