free website stats program electrical problem | Harley Davidson Forums

electrical problem

Longhair

I have a 2002 ultra classic, I rode yesterday the volt meter went from 14 down to 12 the radio volume got real low and the bike cut out for a second and every thing came back to normal. the bike kept doing this. Stoped at an auto store we checked the battery was good checked the charging was good. I have no clue, leaving for bike week in MD in 3 weeks. Any help would be very appreciated. Thanks Longhair

Thank you I checked all connections everything was clean and tight. I removed both battery cables made sure they were clean and put them back on tight. I checked the battery again it reads 12.59 and checked the charging on the battery it reads 14.29. I took the bike out and it did the same thing.

Yes i checked when the bike idles it don't cut out onlly when riding no matter how slow or fast it will cut out for a second about every 20 minutes

Thank you Steve07 I will check that after work. Maybe i should put a new breaker in this way i know its new. I will let you know if that was the problem. I have to leave for work i will check back later. Thank you for the help everyone have a good day Longhair

A fully charged battery should read 12.7-12.75. I know it can be time consuming but you probably need to check the connectors to make sure there is no corosion on the pins. It doesn't hurt to put some electrical greese before you reassemble the connectors. This doesn't cost you anything but some garage time.

I have a 2002 ultra classic, I rode yesterday the volt meter went from 14 down to 12 the radio volume got real low and the bike cut out for a second and every thing came back to normal. the bike kept doing this. Stoped at an auto store we checked the battery was good checked the charging was good. I have no clue, leaving for bike week in MD in 3 weeks. Any help would be very appreciated. Thanks Longhair

Before you do anything else, open up the derby cover and take a whiff. If it smells burnt in there, STATOR!! That is what it was when that happened to me. At idle and under no real load, the STATOR was still putting out to spec Vac. But the VR was also bad and had bleed-back problems. New STATOR and VR, and voila'.

If not, check this out:

Testing The Charging System - Harley Davidson Community

TQ

Last edited:
Look in the recall section on this site, there was a recall on the 2002 Electra's for the circuit breaker, read some of the comments, sounds like this may be your problem.

A fully charged battery should read 12.7-12.75. I know it can be time consuming but you probably need to check the connectors to make sure there is no corosion on the pins. It doesn't hurt to put some electrical greese before you reassemble the connectors. This doesn't cost you anything but some garage time.

# 1 on this Don, I would recheck that battery and charging system:s

Back