Dyna vs Sportster

Discussion in 'Dyna Models' started by danthern, Aug 20, 2010.

1. danthern

danthern Active Member

I'm new to Harleys and recently bought a 2010 FXDC that I am absolutley obsessed with. 3 days ago I bought my wife a new Sporty 48. Very good looking bike and perfect for her small stature. I rode it home from the dealer and have ridden it a couple times since. The difference in my Super Glide and her 48 is like a old VW and a new Mercedes. I guess my question is should the difference be so obvious in the ride? I realize the motor, chassis, tranny etc are signifigantly different but holy (EDIT) I didn't realize how nice my Dyna is until I rode the Sporty. Not knocking the 48, just want to be sure there's not something wrong with it.

Of course I'd never say that to her.....

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2010
  2. Hoople

Hoople Account Removed

There's probably nothing wrong.
    Before I took demo rides of all the different frames available I would not have thought there was so much difference also. Riding height, center of gravity, isolation mounts are just a few differences between all the families of frames.
    I was shocked just like you were at the Huge difference.

3. bwalsh22

bwalsh22 Junior Member

That is probably why my father-in-law told me to at least get a Dyna, since my first thought was just to get a Sporty. He told me I would enjoy it, but would be cramped for the 40 mile ride I take back and forth to work most days. Not knocking the sportys as I never rode one, but I do love my Dyna and can say I will have it for a long time.

4. danthern

danthern Active Member

Glad to hear you all say that. Makes me think thats just the way it is. She hasn't driven my Glide but when she does I suspect she's gonna want to trade up. I hope they still have that deal where they give the the MSRP within a year or something like that on a trade-up. I was actually looking at a Sporty when I was getting ready to buy mine and a guy walked up and said "do yourself a favor and get the Dyna. You'll be glad you did". He was right...

5. Dr. Dolittle

Dr. Dolittle Experienced Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

Amazing that they sell ANY Sportsters with guys like that lurking in dealerships!

:lolrolling

6. danthern

danthern Active Member

Point taken, but in this case I'm glad he lurked,,,,,,

I bought one of each. so the dealer did alright

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2010
  7. fin_676

fin_676 Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

If i had to choose between the dyna and the sporty i think id choose the sporty
    having ridden it the length and bredth of the uk and a fair bit into mainland europe it performed well it is a real treat on the twisty roads
    after being on the dyna or softail the sporty does feel very small but i still like it

Brian

8. blademan

blademan Active Member

:lero
    Isn't that about like riding around one of our smaller states?

9. jezbo

jezbo Member

Used to ride a Sporty, don't knock them, they're meant to be a little rough and ready that's what it is all about. I used to do 300 mile round trips weekly on mine, I loved it, only changed to a bigger bike because I get 'white finger' from the vibes. Sporties do suit European roads. Weren't they designed to take on the Cafe Racers?

10. fin_676

fin_676 Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

Perhaps it is but a sporty would leave any of the big twins behind on the type of roads we have around here
    with a set of throw over bags and a rack and a wee bit of thought it can be used for longer trips
    as i also have a dyna and a softail i am in a position to compare a wee bit between the different models

Brian