free website stats program Dyna vs Sportster | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Dyna vs Sportster

Night and day, the Sporty can be thrown into a tighter corner IMO, and it will beet the pants off a big twin stop light to stop light:p

I'm new to Harleys and recently bought a 2010 FXDC that I am absolutley obsessed with. 3 days ago I bought my wife a new Sporty 48. Very good looking bike and perfect for her small stature. I rode it home from the dealer and have ridden it a couple times since. The difference in my Super Glide and her 48 is like a old VW and a new Mercedes. I guess my question is should the difference be so obvious in the ride? I realize the motor, chassis, tranny etc are signifigantly different but holy (EDIT) I didn't realize how nice my Dyna is until I rode the Sporty. Not knocking the 48, just want to be sure there's not something wrong with it.

Of course I'd never say that to her.....

Dan, let's break it down, fat front tire, stout front fork, slightly less HP, torque, but also less weight soaking wet by almost 112 lbs or so...no frills, (it "ain't no touring framed bike" and does not pretend to be), but all motorcycle, what is not to like? Since you are new rider, but likely WANT a cushy ride, the added suspension, balanced engine and such all make for a smooth ride...once up to speed both bikes are smooth, but when you hit the twisties, the 48 gets the nod getting there with less drama. JMO :newsmile025:

Last edited:
Well, there is plenty of reason HD does offer both Sporties and Dynas. They shouldn't ride or feel the same.

Each one serves it's own purpose.

Please don't get me wrong.....I don't mean to (EDIT) on the Sportster, it's a very cool motorcycle. I'm just wanting to be certain that the difference in the ride between the two bikes is so pronounced. I've not had the opportunity to test the 48 on the twisties or take the speed up as it still has less than 100 miles and the little woman is kind of stingy with it. She loves it and thats what counts. I can respect scrappy and a little rough around the edges.

Please read this...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
Just come back from a 2 weeks holidays on my Dyna Street Bob: I enjoyed every moment of it!
The big bore pushes from low rpm's and the thrust is really enjoyable when coming out form a curve.
The problem is....

... entering a curve!!! :p

Dyna's are made to ride peacefully, not to be ridden madly in the twisties.

I had a XL1200 R Roadster before my Dyna and I liked it very much, but the approach is completely different.

Curves can be taken better, and you need to keep the engine at higher rpm's.
The name says it all: it's a "sporty" bike!! :s

I prefer the Dyna approach, but the Sportster is a great bike!!

Ciao
Ugo

Dan, let's break it down, fat front tire, stout front fork, slightly less HP, torque, but also less weight soaking wet by almost 112 lbs or so...no frills, (it "ain't no touring framed bike" and does not pretend to be), but all motorcycle, what is not to like? Since you are new rider, but likely WANT a cushy ride, the added suspension, balanced engine and such all make for a smooth ride...once up to speed both bikes are smooth, but when you hit the twisties, the 48 gets the nod getting there with less drama. JMO :newsmile025:

OOPS. I read enough of your post that I realize you just made a typo, Dynas don't have the "BALANCED" engine if your refering to the counterbalancer.

Blademan, thanks for catching my "slip". I was trying to describe in a run on sentence the spectrum from Touring Framed bikes to Sportster Framed bikes.

I had an 89 Sportster and traded it in on a 2008 FXDL. I loved the Sportster around town but on longer trips it killed me, hence the Dyna. Comparing a 08 Dyna to a 89 Sportster is apples to oranges. The Dyna is so much more advanced and comfortable. It is truly amazing what 20 years will do. I wish I still had my Sportster, but for longer riding it didn't work.

Gentlemen, I stand corrected. I must say that I was hasty in my judgement of my wife's forty eight. I was able to ride it today for about 75 miles in a variety of situations (hiway, country roads, etc.) and while I still say it's not as comfortable as my Dyna, it was a blast! Count me as a Sporty fan from here on out.

Back