free website stats program Dunlop Tire Problems | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Dunlop Tire Problems

I have run Dunlop 402 from day one...i have 53,000 mile on my RK...change rear tires in about 8,000 miles coz our roads are so deeply grooved i think that are shorting tire life jmo.... and I gotten over 20.000 on my front tire ..70 percent of my riding is long distance and two up. So why have i never experienced this problem ?... is it coz i replace the rear so often ..any comment? I see Metzler's also are havin problems.

Not sure. My LAST rear was a MU85B16 77H that had 4,700 miles on it when I discovered the defect in the tread. The tire had around 3 mm of tread depth left. See my experience with Dunlops below.

TQ

I keep hearing about the problem with Dunlop D402 tires. I have yet to find any one that has such a problem but many are lining up hoping to get new tires for free. There is the kicker. This whole thing seems to be based on greed by the owners and the law firms trying to create and I said create a class action lawsuit. What would this meant to you? Nothing, as the lawyers always get all the money and maybe you will get a $25 off coupon. I run D402 and have for awhile. No problems and they ride good. Fossil

I keep hearing about the problem with Dunlop D402 tires. I have yet to find any one that has such a problem but many are lining up hoping to get new tires for free. There is the kicker. This whole thing seems to be based on greed by the owners and the law firms trying to create and I said create a class action lawsuit. What would this meant to you? Nothing, as the lawyers always get all the money and maybe you will get a $25 off coupon. I run D402 and have for awhile. No problems and they ride good. Fossil

Really? Hmm. See the pix in post #59 here:

Tire POLL - Page 6 - Harley Davidson Community

That is the Dunlop D402 MU85B16 off the rear of my '03 UC. Had around 4,700 miles on the tire when I inspected it after I saw Steve's post here on HDTimeline. Immediately found the split in the water groove you see in the pix.

Hope you continue to have no problems with your tires. But it might be a good idea to inspect the tires weekly to ensure they have not developed a split in the tread pattern.

TQ

I saw my tire that blew at 65 mph. It seems very similar to the photo shown in this thread. Way too similar from my perspective. I would be very weary of the D402 until Dunlop addresses why all the problems with this model tire.
Ride Safe.
BHBiker

I just wanted to give an update on this,while cleaning the bike today I noticed that now my front tire is cracking.I talked to Mike at Kitchener Harley and they are putting a new one on monday.

I just wanted to give an update on this,while cleaning the bike today I noticed that now my front tire is cracking.I talked to Mike at Kitchener Harley and they are putting a new one on monday.

Steve,

Was that the D402F MT90B16? How many miles?

TQ

Thats the tire TQ .I have 8000 miles on it,pressure always maintained at 36psi.

Same sort of crack.When my son gets home tommorow eve. with my camera I will take a pic. I will say it has more cracks but they dont appear as deep,almost like aging but the date stamp on the tire indicates it was built Aug.08

I realize this thread is 6 months old but I thought I'd share my recent experience.... I run the Dunlop 402 tires front and back (on an 08 RG). I admit that I'm a NAZI about checking my tire pressure and staying within load limits. I always change front and back together (which hasn't been any compromise at all because they seem to wear evenly for me) and I have consistently been able to get 17,000 on a set (and that is changing them out between 2/32 & 3/32 remaining on the tires. (This for the last two sets purchased within the last 14 months). Hope this is useful info for someone....

Back