free website stats program Dunlop Tire Problems | Harley Davidson Forums

Dunlop Tire Problems

glider.

BOT Machine
Posted by Steve07...

Dunlop tire warranty... Warranty Information on Dunlop Tires

Austin, TX (PRWEB) June 30, 2009 -- Harley-Davidson, Honda and Goodyear Dunlop should investigate a number of motorcycle crashes involving sudden deflation of Goodyear Dunlop D402 and other tires, attorney Billy Edwards said today. The tires, installed as original equipment or sold as replacement tires on touring and cruiser motorcycles, may need to be recalled, he added.

Five more instances of sudden deflation of the Dunlop D402 tire have been reported to the safety website, UnsafeMotorcycles.com (Unsafe Motorcycles with tire defects that lead to motorcycle crashes. Check for Model: Harley Davidson Ultra Classic and the Honda Goldwing), he noted. Four of the incidents involved Harley-Davidson classic touring motorcycles and one involved a Honda GL 1800. All occurred in the last 13 months, he said. The latest incident occurred in Marino Valley, CA, he said. Others have been reported in Massachusetts, Texas and Georgia, he said.

"We believe this is the tip of the iceberg. The defect in these tires appears to be worsening as the tires age, leading to more instances of sudden deflation and serious injury," Edwards said.

These reports join at least two lawsuits filed recently involving allegations of Goodyear Dunlop tire deflations, one in Butte, MT, the other in Atlanta, GA.

According to the allegations described in a lawsuit in the Butte, MT crash, a defect in the bead seat area of the tire allowed excessive leakage of air leading to a "sudden and catastrophic deflation" of the tire. Stephen Gageby, Butte, MT, was killed, and his wife was seriously injured in the resulting crash, the suit says.

The Georgia suit was filed in U.S. District Court, Middle District of Georgia, Athens Division,(Case no. 3:09-cv-74 ), and involved the death of a passenger Patricia Morris. Among other things, the suit alleges Harley-Davidson knew it was "false and misleading" to represent that its 2007 FLHTCU and its tires were safe for carrying up to two riders weighing more than 250 pounds each, plus their cargo and motorcycle accessories.

The Montana suit (Cause No. DV-08- 480) was filed Nov. 10, 2008, in the Second Judicial District Court, Butte Silver-Bow County. Attorneys representing the Gageby estate are Michael McKeon, with the law firm of McKeon and Anderson, PC, Butte, MT, and Billy Edwards, with the Edwards Law Firm, Corpus Christi, TX.

Here is what to watch for

tn808s3.jpg

Posted by BigLew...

Here is an excerpt from Dunlop's website.

REPLACEMENT COST UP TO 50% WORN
If, during the first fifty percent (50%) of tread wear, the tire becomes unserviceable for a condition covered by this warranty, it will be replaced with a comparable new Dunlop tire. You pay only for retailer services, such as mounting and balancing.

AFTER 50% TREAD WEAR
If, after the first fifty percent (50%) of tread wear, the tire becomes unserviceable for a condition covered by this warranty, your Dunlop motorcycle tire retailer will replace it with a comparable new Dunlop tire at a cost calculated in the following manner:

Either your original buying price substantiated by invoice, or the retailer's current selling price, times (x)
Fifty percent (50%)
Plus (+) all applicable federal excise taxes, and local taxes and all charges for retailer services such as mounting and balancing
A CASH REFUND WILL NOT BE EXTENDED IN LIEU OF THE ABOVE.

The rest is here:
Warranty Information on Dunlop Tires

Is there any info as to whether running the D402 with a tube would mitigate sudden deflation of the tire caused by the "damage" noted in the pic above?

I don't think the tube would help much. If the tire casing splits, the tube wouldn't keep you from having a blow out.

For what it's worth, I contacted Dunlop about this problem and they did get back to me. OK, I realize that they are probably going to give the "company line" but they assured me that there was nothing wrong with the tires, that they had been making motorcycle tires for a long time, and that the only problems they were aware with came from overloading, underinflation, and abuse that damaged the tire in some way. Again, this is for what it's worth....

For what it's worth, I contacted Dunlop about this problem and they did get back to me. OK, I realize that they are probably going to give the "company line" but they assured me that there was nothing wrong with the tires, that they had been making motorcycle tires for a long time, and that the only problems they were aware with came from overloading, underinflation, and abuse that damaged the tire in some way. Again, this is for what it's worth....

Really. Hmmm. See my posts here:

Tire POLL - Page 5 - Harley Davidson Community

TQ

Here is my original thred on the subject Dunlop Tire problems - Harley Davidson Community

And here is my opening remarks

As some of you know from my previous posts I have had problems with my Dunlop tires cracking,my rear tire was replaced last Aug. and in April of this year I found cracks in the new one. It was replaced under warranty,but the issue has continued to bother me.A friend pointed me to one article on them and I have found a few more some of which I will re-print here.Before anyone tries to tell me my tire cracked because of improper maintenance I check my tire pressures regularly and adjust pressures for different wieghts.

As I have said before, Dunlop will continue to deny there is a problem,just as Firestone has done in the past!

It's the typical "deny it and it will go away" syndrome.

Hmmm, we know another company that does this too.:s

I have run Dunlop 402 from day one...i have 53,000 mile on my RK...change rear tires in about 8,000 miles coz our roads are so deeply grooved i think that are shorting tire life jmo.... and I gotten over 20.000 on my front tire ..70 percent of my riding is long distance and two up. So why have i never experienced this problem ?... is it coz i replace the rear so often ..any comment? I see Metzler's also are havin problems.

Back