free website stats program Does It Ever Get Any Easier? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Does It Ever Get Any Easier?

I have found that usually if it is very difficult to fit something and it needs forcing it is because I have not been assembled some of the parts
in quite the way they are supposed to be.
If something has to be dismantled, I always have a camera handy and take pictures as the operation progresses, just in case I forget something.
Take your time and only bring out the big Hammer as a very last resort. :D

If you can get plenty of opportunities to "practice", it'll get easier over time.

Some background: (sorry about the length)
I used to have NO mechanical skills/knowledge at all. Primarily, never had the chance to learn when I was younger. Dad taught me alot of things, but he wasn't the mechanic type either.

I lost my computer job in 2002 (dot.com bust), and couldn't find another job. Decided I wanted to go to MMI and be a Harley mechanic. Had always felt I could learn quick, and figured if somebody could show me, I could learn.

AND I WAS RIGHT!! Mostly, it's having some knowledge, and the right tools. I did really well at MMI, and wrenched for 4 years (2004 - 2007). I liked the job, but unfortunately... pay at a dealership is terrible. So I ended up going back into the software world.

All of that to say... YES!!! if you can keep on finding things to do, keep doing it. I'd buy the service manual and start trying to do your own services... a 5000 mile service is pretty easily actually. If you have a question about the manual, you always have sites like this to ask questions.

But I'll tell you up front... MANY of the HD instruction sheets are a pain. That's because the kits fit many different years of bikes. So there's extra parts in there that you want need. Because XX year bike used this screw, but YY year bike used something else... so they have to include both screws. It can be a pain deciphering how to proceed. But a little perseverance goes a long way!

Hi Doc,

There has been some really good advice posted so far on this forum.

When servicing your bike, persistence and patience are critical. Never try to rush a job. Take your time and enjoy the process. One of the reasons I really like Harley Davidsons is they are by design, reasonably simple to work on and maintain.

I cannot say that about many other modern vehicles which is one of the reasons I chose a new career after working for many years as a professional mechanic.

By continuing to work on your own motorcycle, you will become much more familiar with the mechanics of the machine and develop a greater appreciation for how all the different parts work together to keep you cruising down the road.

You will also achieve a level of confidence and personal satisfaction from doing your own work that cannot be obtained by dropping your keys off at the local dealership.

Anyways, enough of my rambling. Probably the best advice I can give you is to invest in a factory shop manual for your motorcycle. They are not cheap (usually around $100 bucks) but if you want to do your own work and do it right, the shop manual is an absolute necessity.

As Bud White said in a previous post, take the time to learn and understand how and why the various parts work and fit together.

Good luck and don't give up because with practice, I guarantee you will find that working on your motorcycle will become easier and more enjoyable.

Thanks everyone - very encouraging posts.

I do have the HD service manual and I never begin anything if I think there's any chance I might get rushed. I also promised myself to enjoy my adult beverages AFTER the job is done.

I think my main limitations right now are, experience, confidence, and tools. I'm working on all three and slowly making progress. Is it just me or does each job seem to require a trip to the store to get a new, special tool to do it just right?

I've always had a bit of a temper so another big challenge for me is keeping my cool when things don't go absolutely wonderful. Very seldom do I get all the way through any project without hitting a glitch that really tests my patience. I'm working on this, too!

Thanks again.

not how does it come apart anyone can take stuff about but its the guys who ask how does it work what is it doing at this time ..

Bud White that is so true.

I have had this love hate relationship with my S&S carb . I have had it off my bike 2x to replace and adjust a few things and another 2x to have a carb guy look at it.

WE both think the problem is now resolved, the needle valve for the float was scared causing excess fuel to enter the carb, fouling the plugs.

All thats required is to test it.

Its like you say, anyone can take stuff apart , but if you have an understanging of how thing work, you will have a better understanding of your problem and fix it right the first time..

Hey Doc....one word..are maybe two(2)..Digital Camera !... When I am going to do something to the Bike I go to the dealer are better yet a rally, and take close up pics of what I want...so it will look that way when I finish. Also I look over the job several times...for instance I watched the "Fix My Hog " video I know 15 times before I took off my rear tire..( did it only to clean the spokes ) ,but it was great practice....when I went through the manual it wasn't very clear...the 'Fix My Hog " video made it very easy to understand... Also it took me I know 4 hours to install my Chrome inner primary....but I read several times how its done before attempting it....when I disassemble something if for a second I think I may forget how it goes I reassemble it immediately...and disassemble it again...then I lay it in the order it was removed ..also before I get real involved I take a pic of it. I was a Hvac tech for 37 years and worked on equipment as big a some small homes that was easy...but starting a small screw I'm all thumbs...lol so like other have said if it a part..and not just a chrome replacement part...but a working part..if you know what that part does and how it does it you will be so much a head of the game...shoot doc I bet in a few months with all the knowledge your getting here your be rebuilding the engine with your eyes closed....lol. Still my first best tool is the "Fix My Hog " video and second are at least tied is the manual...and if I'm afraid ..off to the dealer I go!...lol I am very lucky coz I have 3 extremely good dealers in my Area and have used them all at one time are another...BTW returned last night from our 10 day 2800 mile trip to the 105th and on into Canada..one word "WoW"!!!!!...going to Canada was like stepping back in time...God its so beautiful there...and the high light was sitting, and talking to a couple of Indians( First Nation people )..about their land..Bears, and Moose . To any Canadians out there I mean that with the utmost respect .Then onto Niagra Falls...a double “WoW”! Anyway Doc good luck to yah!

Dr. Doolittle, This may be obvious but when mounting anything that is pre-fitted, I always start all the screws just finger tight before tightening everything. Sometimes you need to shift things slightly to get that last screw or bolt started. My $0.02

Regards, Jammr

Doc I m in complete agreement. I try to do as much as I can myself but some of it I just dont get. Ends up costing me more than it should when I have the dealer do it. I guess I have learned my limitations and would rather pay and make it right then for me to screw it up and cost me even more.

I'm really trying to educate myself more about my bike and do as much maintenance and mods myself as possible. I've never been very mechanical and I knew the learning curve would probably be steep but sometimes I feel like I'm nowhere near the top! Did you folks that are real good at wrenching start out feeling like this? ....

Don't feel bad, even the simplist things can be a hassle...I was changing the air filter...problem is it was a no name type so no instructions, but only 3 Allen screws...how hard can it be? H-u-m-m-m English or Metric...

Find out it had not been changed in probably years...they are frozen on u-g-h-h, finally broke them loose, no lube on the threads, steel on aluminium not good; backed out the cover with the screws, Clink, clink, clink; three 3 spacers fell to the bottom of the housing (lucky they did not fall into the carb throat or worse), look at that dirty cheap paper element, gas & oil saturated without any metal form to stiffen it (you could move it around in the housing like putty). :(

Oh Boy, the real trick, putting it all back together without the spacers falling out (used assembly contact cement to attach the spacers to the mounting studs) good enough to start all 3 screws without chasing loose hardware, evenly hold cover and new filter aligned (look MA, I need only two hands for...:newsmile030:...UH-OH...WAIT how do I stoop down, hold the flashlight to line up the holes to start all three screws, hold the cover, keep the filter straight and button this silly thing together? A-R-G-H-H ...HEY I ... GOT IT! :newsmile058:

Honestly, even though it was more time and trouble than I thought, the satisfaction of doing it myself, learning how to do it correctly (although by trial and error) is a very good feeling. Yes, I will change it more often and do it right...Time for a cold one....:cheers

Last edited:
Don't feel bad, even the simplist things can be a hassle...I was changing the air filter...problem is it was a no name type so no instructions, but only 3 Allen screws...how hard can it be? H-u-m-m-m English or Metric...

Find out it had not been changed in probably years...they are frozen on u-g-h-h, finally broke them loose, no lube on the threads, steel on aluminium not good; backed out the cover with the screws, Clink, clink, clink; three 3 spacers fell to the bottom of the housing (lucky they did not fall into the carb throat or worse), look at that dirty cheap paper element, gas & oil saturated without any metal form to stiffen it (you could move it around in the housing like putty). :(

Oh Boy, the real trick, putting it all back together without the spacers falling out (used assembly contact cement to attach the spacers to the mounting studs) good enough to start all 3 screws without chasing loose hardware, evenly hold cover and new filter aligned (look MA, I need only two hands for...:newsmile030:...UH-OH...WAIT how do I stoop down, hold the flashlight to line up the holes to start all three screws, hold the cover, keep the filter straight and button this silly thing together? A-R-G-H-H ...HEY I ... GOT IT! :newsmile058:

Honestly, even though it was more time and trouble than I thought, the satisfaction of doing it myself, learning how to do it correctly (although by trial and error) is a very good feeling. Yes, I will change it more often and do it right...Time for a cold one....:cheers

I hear ya! I'm seriously considering getting one of those headbands with the light in it to at least solve the flashlight part of the problem. I guess tools with a magnetic end to hold the screws would help too.

Back