free website stats program Does It Ever Get Any Easier? | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Does It Ever Get Any Easier?

I would say things get easier. Most things are intimidating at first because you have no first hand experience with it.

When I first got into Harley's, I couldn't even put on the passenger pillion without some help. Now, after 4 years, I am able to do stuff like install the quick release back rest parts, relocate my turns signals, change the hand grips, etc.

It does get better but you have to get decent tools and go slloooowww. If you rush the job, you will end up scratching your bike one way or another.

Quite proud of myself. I know it is easy but I changed the headlight and installed chrome floorboard covers Sunday. So things are doable. Now I just got to get some of the mechanical stuff down.

I hear ya! I'm seriously considering getting one of those headbands with the light in it to at least solve the flashlight part of the problem. I guess tools with a magnetic end to hold the screws would help too.

Hey Dr. D...get the bright LED Headlamp type, just got back from Yosemite and it was real handy to have both hands free. Using the LED Headlamp is mainly a matter of comfort & ease of use. They are very bright and as a bonus, draw very little power. :)

Make sure the batteries are AA or AAA type (for ease of replacement), and if you decide on re-chargables use Nickel Metal Hydride NMHI type for long life... DO NOT USE NICADs, they don't hold a charge when they get old (after just a year) they won't hold a charge, and die in a few minutes of use.

Hey Dr. D...get the bright LED Headlamp type, just got back from Yosemite and it was real handy to have both hands free. Using the LED Headlamp is mainly a matter of comfort & ease of use. They are very bright and as a bonus, draw very little power. :)

Make sure the batteries are AA or AAA type (for ease of replacement), and if you decide on re-chargables use Nickel Metal Hydride NMHI type for long life... DO NOT USE NICADs, they don't hold a charge when they get old (after just a year) they won't hold a charge, and die in a few minutes of use.

Thanks, good info there!

I love the LED headlamps. I use one all of the time during hunting season and found them to be useful for all kind of stuff around the house.

I love the LED headlamps. I use one all of the time during hunting season and found them to be useful for all kind of stuff around the house.

OK, I'm too lazy to figure it out myself. Where do you get them? What are they called? About how much?

When servicing your bike, persistence and patience are critical. Never try to rush a job. Take your time and enjoy the process.

I agree. The first bike that I owned was when I was 15 and my step father couldn't fix his motorcycle and gave up on it. He said that I could have it, if I could fix it. It took me a long time to figure it out -- relying on a service manual and the patience of neighbors and friends. I eventually had it running and he signed over the title -- I don't think he expected me to do it, but that was part of the fun, I guess.

I think it does get easier, but there can be many moments of frustration -- personally, those moments are when I'm in a hurry or trying to do a job without a special tool that I need.

In the end, the experience is invaluable and I've saved a lot of money. It might have taken me longer to do a job ( like 10 hours for a job the factory books says should take 4 !), but I've learned something along the way.

Sometimes we don't jump on the bike to get somewhere, but to enjoy the ride. Hang in there, brother!

I cant say if it gets any easier or not .. usually ya have it or ya dont ... not trying to be mean but i have seen guys come to work for us that you just never could bring them up to speed working on stuff.. but book stuff or something non hands on they were excellent

TBH, I think that's exactly the way I'd explain myself. I always feel really slow when I'm doing any mechanical work but working with the parts books I just seem to understand. I went to MMI for 15 months but outside of that I've really never done any type of mechanical work. Either for a job or in my free time.

OK, I'm too lazy to figure it out myself. Where do you get them? What are they called? About how much?

The best selection (although a little more expensive at times) is at REI Sports...always go to your local store to try, but armed with Internet information before you buy!!! :D

I really shouldn't gloat or karma might get me but I just have to!

I just put the adjustable 360 degree highway peg mounts with my unused passenger pegs on the engine guard and it went great. I read through the instructions several times and then put them aside and ignored them. Then I sat down with all the parts and just touched them all, played with them, saw how they went together and came apart, figured out exactly which tools I would need, etc. Turned on the radio, went to work, and I was done in about 30 minutes! Wish you all could see the huge grin on my face right now!

Of course, if they fall off the first time I go for a spin, I retain the right to immediately delete this post!!

Back