free website stats program Do it myself with Thunder Max or pay HD for Mods? | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Do it myself with Thunder Max or pay HD for Mods?

Geeezzzzz, what happened to the good old days of changing jets and readin plugs, guess that was just too simple.

I have heard of some issues with people who change their spark plugs to some aftermarket brands. I was told that sometimes it kicks codes. Will the Thunder Max fix this problem as well?

I have heard of some issues with people who change their spark plugs to some aftermarket brands. I was told that sometimes it kicks codes. Will the Thunder Max fix this problem as well?

If it does, I would say it's because you no longer have Ion sensing knock retard software. The software is what drives the Ion sensing and that software is in the ECM. No software = no knock retard = no error code = no problem.. :p

If it does, I would say it's because you no longer have Ion sensing knock retard software. The software is what drives the Ion sensing and that software is in the ECM. No software = no knock retard = no error code = no problem.. :p

PeteINny I have heard of some issues with people who change their spark plugs to some aftermarket brands. I was told that sometimes it kicks codes. Will the Thunder Max fix this problem as well? :p

The manual explains how to set/change timing for improvement or pinging at a given TPS position.

Monitor Logging and Replay allows you to see AFR and Timing at any/all throttle position, rpm and speed logged.

I have changed plug brands with the stock ECM and had no codes.
Al

:USA
:CONNECTICUT

Ive changed p;ugs also with the stock delphi and go no code.. no probs with the thundermax either

No codes in ThunderMax?. I don't think you ever will Ever see any because I don't believe it has the firmware to work with the Delphi Ion coil. Yes, it will throw a spark but the Thundermax does not have the firmware to support a peripheral device such as the Delphi Ion Coil pack.

No codes in a Stock Delphi?. You may not see any codes here either. But what you may see is a shift in the threshold point at which the knock retard kicks in.
If it shifts in early, you will NEVER know it. All you will experience is a loss of power in some map cells and RPM cells.
If it shifts in late, you just wont get any knock retard when needed. And if your pipes are loud you won't hear it and you will think all is well.

Even if you were to set up a complete ignition system and spark timing curve for peak performance in a ThunderMax, what protects you from those unexpected events like a tank of bad gas, a severe decrease in baro pressure, an increase in cylinder temperature from an extremely hot day, a dramatic increase in payload weight (2up), having loud pipes pipes and not being able to hear detonation,, and the list goes on.
Maybe ThunderMax has an I/O port on their ECM which provides for the much more conventional Piezo knock sensor. If that is the case GREAT!, install it and go. Actually if I had a choice in the matter, I would rather have the Piezo electric style over the Ion sensing.

I really feel you need some kind of knock control in an air cooled engine because cylinder temps don't vary by just a few degrees but more like a hundred degrees. I myself have seen cylinder temps vary from 160 to 320 degrees on the Same bike with same rider just different day, with different road conditions.

all ill say is it ran fine al weekend long and got some fuel from questionable places and still ran great

Back