Do it myself with Thunder Max or pay HD for Mods?

Discussion in 'Engine, Fuel and Exhaust' started by COFLH, May 24, 2010.

1. COFLH

COFLH Member

I just picked up my new Ultra Limited. I am considering bolting on air intake and pipes along with a Thunder Max (I don't own a dyno tester). Any suggestions out there about doing this versus having HD do it with a SERT. Figure I would save money and have the self adjusting computer for future savings, but want to do it right and not just cheap. Any advise, experience, thoughts out there?

2. Hoople

Hoople Account Removed

Does the ThunderMax come with it's own set of wide band O2 sensors or does it use the existing narrow band sensors that came with the bike. That is the Key Question #1 you need to know. Key Question #2 is does the ThunderMax software have Independent A/F ratio maps for each cylinder.

3. Hoople

Hoople Account Removed

Wow. A Great question I had not even considered. You are So correct Hobbit.

Hobbit that actually is Not Question #1. It's Question #1, #2 AND #3.

Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2010
  4. COFLH

COFLH Member

What is TBW?

5. ultrat

ultrat Senior Member Contributor

throttle by wire ..no cables no more

6. COFLH

COFLH Member

OIC! Duh! Didn't make the leap. Didn't know they had issues with that. Anyone know if they resolved them?

7. Hoople

Hoople Account Removed

8. Hoople

Hoople Account Removed

Hobbit, would you know if the Zippers ECM is a ground Up design of there own (like Haltech Engine management is) or if it is a re-packaged Dephi stock ECM. If it is ground up, I wonder who is doing the firmware writing for them. TBW MUST take into account some very special considerations. I sure hope they have their thinking caps on.

9. maine-e-axe

maine-e-axe Junior Member

T-Max sold a select few 75/100 for TBW at Daytona bike week for a trial run and that was 3 months ago. I saw it posted on this site last Jan/Feb so it should be in the search.

10. Hoople

Hoople Account Removed

Before I was comfortable, I would have to know what steps were put into place within both Hardware and Firmware to prevent a possible throttle run-away. A Simple question with many complex possible answers.