free website stats program Do I have ABS? | Harley Davidson Forums

Do I have ABS?

FLHXSrider

Contributor
I have a 2008 Electra Glide Standard (FLHT). I bought it new with ABS (or at least I asked and paid for it). If it's relevant, I also have a Stage 1 and Vance & Hines slip-ons. I'm wondering if I really have ABS as when I hit the brakes hard, in Emergency/stop quick situations, my back tire will skid. I thought that wasn't supposed to happen with ABS? My car's brake pedal pulses when the ABS kicks in but I'm not sure if that should also happen on my Harley. I do have a new rear tire (stock Dunlop) but it also did this before (actually, since the bike was new). I just never thought much about it before. Maybe I do have ABS but it's just not working. Like I said though, its been doing it from day 1 (in my defense, I had a brain injury a few years ago :small3d023:). Thanks.

To know if you have ABS, look at the right side of the back wheel, if you have ABS there should be a spacer next to the outer wheel bearing that has wires coming out of it. On the front wheel, the spacer is on the left side of the wheel. my bike is a '10 and when I start it, tjhe ABS light flashes on and off before i move. Also when i applie the brakes hard and try to get it to skid (I have tried this but not on purpose) you do get feedback from the pedal and lever.

Good morning,
Also, in your gauge(s) you should have a flashing yellow icon with ABS on it which flashes a few times each & every time you start the bike.

I have the same bike. I have no abs or security. You concerns are spot on as to comparing operation to car. If there was a malfunction the warning light would be on all the time indicating such. 89stroker is correct. A additional wire from front and rear axles...

My friend check your paperwork. If you found a bike at the dealer and bought it with them saying they would put ABS on it, it just ain't so. That is something done only at the factory. Good luck.

Thanks for the replies everybody, I'll check my bike as soon as I get off work for the wires. They had my bike in stock already and it was supposed to have ABS and Security already on it. I've never seen the ABS light on the gauges at startup. If I have to talk to the dealer or MO-CO I doubt I'll have much luck with a fair resolution, but I'll try and be optimistic.

If they told you it had ABS and it didn't, they owe you back the cost of the option .No questions asked. Check your bill of sale and see if it lists ABS.

I'm about 99.9% sure it does but I'll re-confirm it. The only problem I'm thinking about is the dealer or MOCO saying "you have 23,000km on it, how do we know you didn't take it off and sell it or you had your rear tire replaced by someone else, maybe they did it.".

I'm about 99.9% sure it does but I'll re-confirm it. The only problem I'm thinking about is the dealer or MOCO saying "you have 23,000km on it, how do we know you didn't take it off and sell it or you had your rear tire replaced by someone else, maybe they did it.".

There's more to that system than that which would leave traces that it was installed and if they say that to you .......

Definitely find another dealer then for sure.

If I have to talk to the dealer or MO-CO I doubt I'll have much luck with a fair resolution, but I'll try and be optimistic.

I truly admire you patience and understanding. Right now I want to go to the dealership for you and it's not even my bike. :)
Maybe the bike is equipped with ABS but it just has not been working. That I could understand and even live with. But not having it on the bike and being charged for the option would drive me straight into orbit.

If that is the case DO NOT take a dealership credit. You want cash. A dealership credit to them is only 50% payout. Cash is a 100% ouch.!

Back