free website stats program Damaged spark plug? | Harley Davidson Forums

Damaged spark plug?

JBC2565

Over the weekend got 2 5R6A from the dealer. Looked at plugs today and noticed on one plug, the ground electrode was pushed into and touching center electrode. Just wondering if any damage was done to plug and should I take back to dealer or just reset the gap. Ceramic looks fine but not sure about internal parts of plug (box was good and square, not smashed or damaged). Dealer is close to work so wouldn't be out of my way. Thinking I'm being overly cautious but don't want to be on side of road either.
Thanks
John

IN all MY Years of buying HD plugs,,,,, I Have Never had one like you describe....

I WOULD take it back and ask for a New one... If they decline your asking for new, Then see the Manager

I think it was Dropped and You don't Need a piece of Porcelain bumping around the cyl. and heads IF damage is there...

Just My Way

signed....BUBBIE

I agree on exchange. 99% chance it would be fine if you regapped it. Tiny chance the ceramic got hairline crack, and could break inside the engine. That's too much chance for me.

It had to get a pretty good shot to close the gap up like you say. I would get a new one.

BTW always check the gap on any plug before installing it, granted they are pre gaped but don't trust that to be accurate.

BTW always check the gap on any plug before installing it, granted they are pre gaped but don't trust that to be accurate.

With a wire gap tool per your recommendation. (not feeler gauge gap tool).

Thanks for the advice guys. Will get it replaced. Thought it would be fine but why chance it. Can't see the dealer giving me any flak either, over a $4.00 plug.
Still have receipt.

Always check new plugs and gap them do not trust Quality control. I had a Champion brand new in the box with NO threads:s

LOL that's a good one, I haven't ran across that yet... I have had a different plug in the box then what it was suppose to be... No threads ahahahaha now that's just funny :)...

It happened @ a Champion tune up class of all places:s

Jack is correct, never assume that the gap on the plug is correct. I bought new HD plugs in Texas this past winter. I was suprised that the plugs came loose, not in boxes. I don't know if they buy the plugs in bulk or that is the way Harley sells spark plugs now.
Ken

Back