free website stats program D407F Tires | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

D407F Tires

I have over 11k front and back trires d407, the front looks greate, the rear is starting to cup
I ask service about the cupping, he said it was caused by low psi, but i run 41lbs
I do run hard in the cornners, floor boards show it. and there are no nubs on the side of the tires, with compond being softer i would think this is why i'm cupping

IR Rick,
That is their standard versed answer. I also monitor my tire pressure and I experienced cupping at 4K on my front tire. Same reply from HD. I now have 7500 miles and will hopefully get 10K prior to replacing, we will see. My rear looks good so far.

I have the cupping on my rear tire. Service gave me the standard answer it was tire pressure. I retorted that they serviced the bike and controlled the tire air pressure. When I checked it it was at the 40 psi they recommended. Have 7600 miles on it and hope it makes it to 10-12 which might be pushing it. I'm fed up to my eyebrows with all these standard answers. Doesn't seem there's much we can do about it but grit our teeth.

Run your hand up your tire. If it fells uneven it is starting to cup. Check your pressure. If it is cupping call HD & talk to them about being a safety problem. Most have said by claiming safety you have a better chance of getting it replaced free. Most have said they checked pressure & it still cupped? I know some have vibrated in corners that was the safety problem.

I've got an 2009 Ultra. Kept tire pressures at correct poundage. Got 13,000 out of rear, (changed to early, I think I could of got closer to 15,000) Front was cupping at 10,000. Check with dealer and MOCO, they replaced it under warranty with a D408F.
Jonnierock

Don't go by the owners manual.... Dunlop "upped" the pressure on both the D-407F and it's replacement the D-408F. go to the web site, or ask your wrench... I BELIEVE it's now 41 PSI... but check first

Don't go by the owners manual.... Dunlop "upped" the pressure on both the D-407F and it's replacement the D-408F. go to the web site, or ask your wrench... I BELIEVE it's now 41 PSI... but check first

There has been no official revision from MoCo or Dunlop as far as air pressure. The tire manufacturer (Dunlop) only sets the MAX air pressure, which is what you'll see on their website. The actual vehicle manufacturer (MoCo) sets the "recommended" tire pressure. So the 2 numbers (max and recommended) will almost always be different. But that's not to say that anyone changed their numbers.

I called the MOCO yesterday, and told them of the cupping on the D407f front tire. They said it was a know problem and to take it to the dealer and it will be replaced with a 408. I spoke with John and he gave me a reference #. It goes in fri for service, so I'll see what happenes

Call MOCO & tell them you are experiencing vibration problem with your tires. They will most likley give you a reference # to give to your dealer. Check first to make sure you have the 407's on the front. I would also check your pressure before you take it in.

I noticed the difference in noise level, the 408f is quiet compared to the 407f.

Of course my 21" tire is not nearly as wide as a touring model and the 407 hit the wear safety bars at 8600 miles with no cupping or vibration, just the whining noise .

AL

:USA
:CONNECTICUT

Back