free website stats program Cruise control problems. | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Cruise control problems.

From expierience...Check the little button (brake switch) that turns on the brake light, up by the brake lever. Mine broke and had to be replaced. Fortunatly it was covered under warranty as the switch is about 60-65 bucks plus an hour labor. it would allow the cruise to come on then shut down.

Thanks all for suggestions. Been riding through the Memorial Day weekend before I could work on my problem further and, guess what, cruise has been working perfectly!
Guess I'm looking for something intermittent, maybe loose connection @ module. Will keep you posted - Thanks.

Performed the cruise control initialization several times and all seems well ( motor revs and such ) Had the bike out a little while ago and the cruise worked twice in a row and then the same problem.

I've had the same probs with my 99 ultra. Adjusted the lash, checked to make sure the brake isn't dragging. when all these failed I checked the manual closer and the trouble shooting section for the cruise control indicates this kind of behavior may be a bad reed switch. I haven't check it on mine yet, but with our problems being so similar I thought I'd pass it along.

Also take a look at the sensitivity of both brakes, the handle bar lever and the foot lever. It could be that there is a problem and they are too sensitive and it trips the cruise.

I had a very similar thing happen to my UC not long after I got it. Took it to the dealer as it was under warranty. The diagnosis was that the motor had gone bad that controls the cable. Your symptoms seem exactly like mine. They replaced it and I havent had an issue since.

FWIW: I was riding (with cruise control on) and the bike just dropped out of CC. Scared me since I was in a turn and it was an unexpected deceleration.
As you describe the green and amber light on the dash: that is exactly what mine did.

You mentioned that it worked fine twice, but not a third time. These cruise units are very sensitive to ground. Make sure the ground wire to the actual hand control is not pinched in the clamp. I found this on 3 different bikes.
Taking up the throttle cable slack is always important whenever you take the hand control apart. This is most comon with changing of grips and such. If you added the cruise after the bike came from the factory, chances are you do need to adjust the slack in the cable and re-initialize. Remember, one of the things used by the ECM and the cruise control is TPS (Throttle position sensor)

Rode again the other day - about 100 miles with cruise most of the way. Worked fine most of the time, but occassionally showed the above symptoms. Noticed that when it didn't work properly, the "set" switch seemed to take longer to change the dash icon to green, than other times when it worked fine. Still checking......Thanks for all of the suggestions. Will keep you all posted.

I'm not sure this applies to your bike but when I had Cruise Control problems it turned out to be the Speed Sensor in the transmission. But of course it caused all sorts of other problems too. Like the Tack and Speedo not reading right, Cruise not locking in and even not cancelling the turn signals. When told about this sensor I removed it and wiped the metal shavings off it and put it back in and everything worked fine for one day. Then I bought a new sensor. $70.

I had the same cruise problems as you and I was able to fix it when I replaced the idle cable.

When I was changing my grips I noticed that over half of the idle cable strands were broken, requiring a new cable. Replacing the cable also gets you a new cruise idle plug in. As soon as I replaced the cable, cleaned and and electrical greased the plugs from the harness (that plug into the cable) the cruise problem went away.

Just got back from a 400 mile trip using the cruise 75% of the time with no probs. May be worth a look at the cable and the cruise electrical connector for it.

Back