free website stats program Compression check | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Compression check

OK guys, now you're scaring me. I'm doing the compression test tomorrow (1-29). My friend is an ASE auto mechanic at a dealership, and does alot of Harley work as well. He changed out my cam chain tensioner shoes and new cam bearings at 60k miles. He did not put in stock bearings but ones with more rollers on them. He said they are much better than stock. I don't know the name of them. Maybe Timken? So now I wonder if this is where the problem lies. This noise has been a problem for so long now, I can't remember if it was there before the cam bearing change or if it came after. I will tell my friend what you guys said tomorrow and see what he thinks. Like I said, I do hear the noise down around the cam shaft with the stethescope. Whatever it is, I sure hope we can find it. I'll sure keep you advised, and thanks again for all the ideas.

Torringtons (Timkin).

If the compression is OK, try replacing the exhaust gasket on both pipes. Try the new Cometics C9540 extreme performance exhaust gaskets.

TQ

I'm doing the compression test tomorrow (1-29).

As far as noise goes, I really don't see what a compression test will tell you. Let's say your compression in both cylinders is high and the same value. What does that say about the noise. Lets say the front cylinder compression is low. What does that tell you about the noise? Low compression can be for lots of reasons. I would think a cam lobe would have to be wasted to be pinpointed by a compression test. Maybe he is using compression to identify which cylinder is noisy. (?)

I think ultimately your going to have to pull the cam chest cover off and take a look around.

Looking back, it would have been nice to cut open an oil filter after this noise started to see if there was anything in it which pointed to cam bearing, cam or lifter roller.

Ok guys, we did the compression check today and both cylinders were the same 150 psi. I did replace exhaust gaskets twice, once with stock and later with after market. So I am beginning to agree that the problem lie in the cam bearings. We will be taking the cam plate off next to see, but it won't be for a week or so. I will keep you all apprised of what we find out. Thanks again for all the advice.

Ok guys, we did the compression check today and both cylinders were the same 150 psi. I did replace exhaust gaskets twice, once with stock and later with after market. So I am beginning to agree that the problem lie in the cam bearings. We will be taking the cam plate off next to see, but it won't be for a week or so. I will keep you all apprised of what we find out. Thanks again for all the advice.

Not trying to jinx you, but we have a couple of threads in the self-help or General Tech HD pages that narrowed it down to the con. rod. Hope yours is way easier to find!!

TQ

Back