free website stats program Compression check | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Compression check

dd; You have checked and explained a lot of things. In post #13, Jack asked about the rocker arms and supports. It's possible the rocker arm to shaft clearance is out of spec. either end play or shaft to arm.
I understand your frustration and being ready to take it to a mech., but be careful. Many mechanics will just throw parts at it hoping to hit the cause.

Breeze has some good common sense here, have seen too many TECHS throw parts and still not know cause and affect, I like TPR Total Problem Resolution IMO this is better than guessing with your money, Capital Jack

Yeah, I had Harley Syn3 20w50 in it and changed to Regular Harley 50w and no change in the noise. Now I'm back to the Syn3. When I had the rocker covers off I removed the rocker assy and checked for any unusual play, and the rocker bushings showed no wear at all. There was no free play in the bushing. Now there was .010 end play, but I believe that is well within specs The push rods spin freely with no pressure on them, so they aren't bent. I agree that giving it to a mechanic is going to cost me some bucks, but I really want this fixed. It's been over a year now, and I fee I tried everything. The shop wants to pull the head and look at the piston and cylinder to see if something is awry there. I myself don't want to do that work. I get too frustrated when things don't go right, or I don't have the right tool. The problem now is I don't want to be without the bike because every day it's sunny and 70 degrees here in Phoenix and I have to ride. I was going to wait for a rainy day to take it in, but it hasn't rained in a couple months here. The extended forcast calls for sun, sun, sun. Sorry for all you guys living where it's really winter. We suffer in the summer when it's 115 and too hot to ride. Oh well!!!

I know you said you had the rocker cover off and everything looked ok but it might be worth a second look.

A broken valve spring could cause the noise you describe and be easy enough to miss if you're not looking for it.

Did this noise develop gradually overtime or did it simply appear all at once?

Might want to pull the head and check the springs and guides, a broken guide can cause this noise tho usually they smoke some too at least you will have peace of mind when you are done JMO

If you can find an aircraft mechanic with a diffrerentail type copression tester you can get an idea if it's rings or valve problems with the jug. May have to take and old spark plug and make up the addapter.

When doing a compression check the best way to tell if you are loosing compression from the rings or the valves would be for you to take a compression reading and record the result then squirt engine oil inside the cylinder then take another compression reading and record the results . If the compression increases with the oil in the cylinder the problem would be in the rings if there is no change the the problem is in the valves

I know you said you had the rocker cover off and everything looked ok but it might be worth a second look.

A broken valve spring could cause the noise you describe and be easy enough to miss if you're not looking for it.

Did this noise develop gradually overtime or did it simply appear all at once?

Might want to pull the head and check the springs and guides, a broken guide can cause this noise tho usually they smoke some too at least you will have peace of mind when you are done JMO

Never heard of WHAT numbers was the front and back cyl ON the COMPRESSION check??
Did this get done? IF not it shoud of.... It may tell the ALL...

I lik'n the broken valve spring here and My thought is Broken piston or rings /bent valve ...SOOOOO get back with the Comp check issue...

signed....BUBBIE

I think I'm finally giving up and going to fork over some cash to a real mechanic and see what he can find. My wife is getting more fed up with this than me I think. She keeps telling me to take it to a mech. And she usually is right!

Realize you said you were done troubleshooting and you were bringing it in to be repaired but I was following a thread on another web site with a guy having a similar problem. He had an early 88" and was going nuts with valve train noise from just 1 cylinder and tried everything.

Turned out to be an inner cam bearing for him. He was amazed how the noise traveled from the bearing to the valve cover. Both threads parallel so close in detail, I thought it was you. Just thought I would let you know.

Let us know what they find.

Not to STEAL your thunder Hoople,, I gave the inner bearing a long thought as HE did replace the inner bearings a while back and the problem started AFTER the REPLACE (is that TRUE ????) and THAT May be the problem... Hard to check without pulling the cam cover back off... U May try to FEEL at the front cam Lifters for any PLAY ... Hopefully it isn't a needle roller missing or OUT on the front inner cam.
I had a problem removing a inner bearing once and ALMOST had a loose needle Drop into the Crank area... Now that wouldn't be good..

Yes, Hoop, I am like YOU and many others HERE,,,,, So PLEASE let us know what they (you) find out the problem to be..

signed....BUBBIE

Your right Bubbie, dd1228 did say he replaced the cam bearings. I must be going blind because I didn't see that.

Now I am really curious as to what it turns out to be. It's a Good one for sure.

OK guys, now you're scaring me. I'm doing the compression test tomorrow (1-29). My friend is an ASE auto mechanic at a dealership, and does alot of Harley work as well. He changed out my cam chain tensioner shoes and new cam bearings at 60k miles. He did not put in stock bearings but ones with more rollers on them. He said they are much better than stock. I don't know the name of them. Maybe Timken? So now I wonder if this is where the problem lies. This noise has been a problem for so long now, I can't remember if it was there before the cam bearing change or if it came after. I will tell my friend what you guys said tomorrow and see what he thinks. Like I said, I do hear the noise down around the cam shaft with the stethescope. Whatever it is, I sure hope we can find it. I'll sure keep you advised, and thanks again for all the ideas.

Back