free website stats program Compensater sprocket | Harley Davidson Forums

Compensater sprocket

Ok here goes the new guy with a technical question.......lol...
I replaced the stator and rotor on my scoot.....everything works as it should charging great....doing my happy dance.....took off on a 400 mile road trip then .......in the last 26 miles of my trip very strange noises started coming from my primary cover you know the kind that sound really expensive...lol...grinding and thumping....nursed it the last few miles home.....removed cover and saw only a grinding in my primary cover where the compensater was hitting ......can it just go like that or did i maybe do something wrong?? Nothing loose checked all torques.
Thanks Blvd_cruiser

The compensator sprocket nuts were notorious in the evo's for loosening up and grinding on the cover. They usually will give you a knocking noise like a rod knock too when they are loose. It's imperative that you get a good clamping load on the compensator nut as well as the proper locktite too. They will scare the heck out of you when they come loose.

Also while you are in there, check the splines on the rotor to make sure they weren't damaged.

I rechecked all the torques and everything is tight,all is quiet till you get up to highway speeds,65 or 70 then it starts to hit ???? if you stay below 50 it is fine ......little confused about that.....lol....if i understand correctly all it does is compensate for engine vibration so as not to vibrate the heck out of the trans and clutch. This is acting like a centrivical clutch expanding out and hitting cover. How can that happen?
Thanks for the input Glider
Blvd_cruiser

Have you checked the pulleys and the alternator rotor splines?

The compensator acts like an energy absorber to absorb the power pulses of the engine and smooth things out, otherwise your fillings would fall out.

Have you checked the pulleys and the alternator rotor splines?

The compensator acts like an energy absorber to absorb the power pulses of the engine and smooth things out, otherwise your fillings would fall out.

Kind of like riding an old EVO softail :D

Boulevard,

Simple question. Have you got the factory service manual for your Softail? Did you replace the stator and rotor "by the book"? I know it is a simple process, but the question I would have is around any shims or spacers that are required when assembling. Also, the book will describe the procedure for checking the alignment of the clutch pulley to the drive pulley. This may help diagnose why you are getting interference on the inside of the primary cover.

TQ

Ok ......can we say .......dumb guy.....dumb guy.....lol......Well heres the scoop....crap i feel stupid.....Ok TQuentin 1 broke out the manual and low and behold I put a spacer in the wrong place and spaced everything too far out......I guess basics should be taken care of first.
Glider i really appreciate the help next time maybe I'll ask someone first then i won't have to do it twice and take the chance of destroying something. All splines are good nothing broken. My primary case has some marks inside but not bad ....took it for a spin all is well.
Thanks to you all it turned out fine.
Blvd_cruiser

Dang not fixed........I have tried the Harley way.......my way......Steel Customs way . The bolt that holds the compensator is hitting the primary cover.I am beginning to wonder if my crank is walking???? I should say it doesn't hit when you start the bike nor when you first take off....it only starts after 45 to fifty now thats why i'm thinking the crank is walking . What do you think????
Thanks
Blvd_cruiser:newsmile093:

Boulevard,

Have you checked the alignment of the chain? Does your manual call for a shim between the compensator and the compensator nut? If so, how thick is it? Is there a spacer between the rotor and the pully? If so, how thick is that?

TQ

Last edited:
OK talked to a gentleman who repairs the bikes for the city of Indianapolis..........Then to a mech. at Southside Harley. They both told me to lose the rotor that i got in my spyke kit and put the original rotor back in. I guess the spyke rotor has to much build in spacing for my scoot. So I did that with all the original spacers and now all is well.
Thanks for all your help . This is a great site for lots of info and helpful people. Ride on and be safe.
Thanks
Blvd_cruiser

Back