free website stats program Cold Weather Riding | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Cold Weather Riding

Absolutly, I carry my old thinsulate motorcycle gloves and another vest and if going far from home I also carry the Harley snowmobile suit in my cases. It wouldn't be much fun if the new stuff quit working. It's pretty reliable stuff though and has a lifetime warranty. But anything can break as we all know to well.

Around here, winter weather means an extra T-shirt, and if it's really cold, a long sleeve t-shirt. :laugh

Today hit 75. Tomorrow it might snow. Rudolph won't recogonize my house if that happens and I won't get my CHROME! BWAAAAAAAA!

That's terrible! I don't see how you can stand such harsh winters! "Ha Ha"
Enjoy and send some of that warm weather our way, we don't like the cold and snow, we just have to put up with it.
If we had the money and time, we would be snow birds. We have gone to Daytona for bike week a few times in the past and our weather was really cold and bad when we left home. The only problem is after we get down there and ride with that sun and warmth, We don't want to come back to this winter wonderland! Enjoy and have a Safe and Warm Merry Christmas. We are having freezing rain on top of snow today! Gota Love it!

I broke down this year and bought the expensive electric gear. I have to say it is one of the best options for riding in cold weather. If you start to get cold on a long trip, just turn the power up on the thermostat. It's great. This was the first year that I actually warmed up while on the road. Other methods of layering work well, but once you get cold you are done. I have Harley's/Gerbings jacket/pant liners, and a a pair of heated gloves. I just need to get heated insoles and a good pair of leather overpants. Only two disadvantages that I have noticed thus far. One, your mid section gets cold because the heat pant liners only have heat panels on the legs. Going to try to solve this problem with leather pants instead of leather chaps. Two the cables and wires sometimes are a pain. Stay warm ride safe!

The new gear I bought has all of the wires intergrated, you can't feel them going down your sleeves anymore. But there is some getting used to the control and wires on the outside, but I just clip them on my outside pocket of my outerwear. I bought the Gerbings extreme Heated outer pant's. I hardly turn the heat up on them at all and I'm warm from my feet to my waist. I like them because they are easy to take on and off. The guy I bought my stuff from said the pant's are a lot more money, but well worth the difference. I think he was right. My Gerbings dealer was out of Large insoles, so I bought a pair of a different brand of heated socks online that plug into my over pant's. They work well. I am going to save up for the extreme outer coat also. I like the heated jacket liner, but I hear the coat is even better. This stuff deffinitley makes life better on those extremly cold day's. It was around 15 degrees when I rode on Christmas eve and I was toasty. If your interested in looking at the other gear they have, try is link. Heated Clothing - Authorized Gerbing Dealer.
Ride safe and ride warm.

I also purchased a Harley Textile jacket this fall with a reversible vest overlay(black with reflective logo / to hi vis orange) and it does make a difference. I also have full set of heated gear (from socks to gloves ) and along with a gaiter and 3/4 helmet I'm good to go in most any temps.

Only problem is if I stop and take off the gloves and let my hands get really cold. (like messing with the credit card at the fuel pump!). Then, in really, really cold temps, the hands just don't seem to warm up quite right again.

If I stop at the quick mart to warm them, all is ok

Anyway, now if only the ice and snow would stay away!!
bruce

Last edited:
Interesting to read all the combinations of gear in use here.

I like the look and feel of leather, but as for me I am pretty well sold on textiles now. With the addition of some fairly basic electric heated gear and some silk long johns I'm ok down into the 30's.:D
I find as I age my threshold for cold is not what it used to be and prefer above 40 and like 50 degrees the best.:bigsmiley11:
Living in the foothills of the mountains I frequently get caught out by weather and have learned to keep some gear on the bike all year round.
My electric vest was getting too tight and I asked SWMBO to put a small panel in the front with zippers on each side, works a treat !!!

Also added a Zipper Strip from Tom the Tailor to my old friend and stalwart leather jacket. It was sadly attacked by a case of bad closet air and shrank.:p

Back