free website stats program Cold Weather Riding | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Cold Weather Riding

Well for most the weather has really changed and just wanted to speak on an issue that most will find interesting. Bought a textile Jacket and pants about a month ago, both are lined and water and wind proof. Rode into work today Air temp was 30 going 70 miles per hour wind chill right around 18. To anybody that rides in cold weather I would suggest textile over leather anyday, in my opinion blocks wind much better and do not have to layer as much as with leather. Just a T-shirt under the jacket and light thermals under the pants. If anybody else rides in this let me know how you feel as well but again to me a better opion when cold than leather. To all that do ride in the cold stay warm and most importantly stay safe.

Sounds like it would work. Nothing worse than getting cold. Just one thing, the leather also add a tough layer if you go down.

One thing I've learned from many years if snowmobile riding in MN - hand & feet warmers are a must. Plug-in units are best, but the good old packs work too & layer clothes appropriately.

echoing answers above, layering is critical as well as some type of thinsulate. For my Indiana rides, I start with either some type or satin or even apnty hose as first layer....go ahead and laugh, but I ride at any temp as long as roads dry and no precipitation in past 24 hours. The only discomfort IO struggle with is fingers as just can't find gloves that can handle 0 degrees at 70 miles per hour. Would love to hear how rest of you handle that problem

echoing answers above, layering is critical as well as some type of thinsulate. For my Indiana rides, I start with either some type or satin or even apnty hose as first layer....go ahead and laugh, but I ride at any temp as long as roads dry and no precipitation in past 24 hours. The only discomfort IO struggle with is fingers as just can't find gloves that can handle 0 degrees at 70 miles per hour. Would love to hear how rest of you handle that problem
That's really not a laughing matter, we were caught in Yellowstone coming back from Sturgis in 2003 in a snowstorm........in August!!! Even the Buffalo acted suprized! We went again in 2005. I had bought a set of silk riders underwear from BMW and while it didn't snow in Yellowstone, it was pretty cold.........I put my silks' on and was very comphy, not to mention my gal thought it was very alluring that night at the Hotel, but that's another story..............

the marino wool underwear also works wonders in cold weather. although i havnt ridding in anything under 32 in a while. only problem i have is getting to work and changing out of that underwear. looking for one of those coverall types that i can zip over work clothes. use snowmobile gloves i bought at a harley dealership, but dosnt work if they get a little bit damp. anyone ever try those plastic hand fairings you clamp to teh bars? look kinda geeky but will use em if they work

cold being "relative" but I've lived in NC too long, and Louisiana before that.... so I'm a weather-chicken.... LOL I have Gerbings gloves, jacket liner, and overpants..... the colder it gets, the more I crank it up....

I wanted to give a little info here regaurding leather riding jackets, being I collect vintage motorcycle jackets since the early 80s , Im sure the newer materials are very good for cold weather riding but if you are a Leather Man , I have about 60 + jackets in my collection and for cold weather riding the leather Jacket I ride in and find to be the Best for cold weather, is made by Taylors leathwear,Taylor makes most if not all leather Jackets for most major police departmments in the USA and also for the US Airforce, since the 1940s , over the years they have made some changes in liner material and adding reflecive material ,but the style and quality has not changed , there Jacket line up (styles) are named by the individual police dept. they supply , I have all models and early ones from the late 40 rite to the 1990s, my favorite is the Newark style , Named for the Newark NJ motorcyle unit they ride 24/7 365 all are hand sewn and quality is first rate, each Jacket sewing is done by one person and then the jacket signed by that person , I have all the best Jackets early HD, Schott, Indian ,Buco and chicago police leather. and find them all to excellent qulaity,but the Taylor overshines them all for cold weather riding , To buy one new will set you back at least 500. but you can find them on ebay for under 150 ,Ive gotten some for under a 100. So if you are in the market for a cold weather riding Jaket and dont want to spend a lot of bucks find a used Taylor ,U cant wear them out ,they almost always clean up as new with some good leather products also the liners zip out so you can ride with these jackets in fair weather. the older ones pre 80s have a fur type liner the new styles have a nylon type liner and reflective tape that flips out on the back for nite riding and over the front top pockets . the early one have no reflective tape.these jackets are heavy and as soon as you pick one up you will know you have a quality jacket in your hand.

1. Silk liners under a high quality, winter glove
2. Heated gloves
3. Heat packs like hunters use
4. Hippo Hands over the grips

These are just suggestions off the top of my head - not based on any experience since I'm a Georgia weenie and tend to leave the bike in the garage if it's below 40 degrees!

I ride in all kinds of temps and weather, even snow sometimes.
I used to ride in layers and silk and or panty hose and thinsulate gloves.
Sometimes carhart insulated bib overalls and jacket and a nomex hood.
My hands and feet still got cold after a while and I switched to Widder 12v electric gloves. And some off brand 9 volt transistor batt powered electric socks. The gloves were great and the socks were OK, but you couldn't regulate the socks. Sometimes I wore a Harley brand bib style pant's with a jacket that matched, sold about 15 years ago. They were basically a new style material like a snowmobile suit.
The only problem with all of the layers and undergarmets was mobility. Hard to move!
I just started using Gerbings electric outer pants and jacket liner and thier new G5 gloves. And then another brand- (ProForm) electric socks that plug into my Gerbings pant's, because I couldn't find the Gerbings socks or heated insoles in my size. They were on back order. Now I'm very warm and only wear a t shirt under the liner and any jacket or coat over that, I usually wear a leather jacket. And just my jeans under the outer pant's. Every thing plugs into each other and is run by the bikes 12volt and has a dual heat control.
I was running at 75 mph for an hour and it was below 20 degrees when I went out, and I could have ridden all day like that. I was just as comfortable as if I was sitting in a car. This stuf is great, and it's light wieght so you can move freely. There are other brands also that probably work very well also. The only draw back is it's very expensive, but it makes witer riding so much nicer.
It's almost worth the cost just to see the looks on the cagers faces when you pass them.

The heated stuff, from everything I hear is really up to date, wonderful stuff. Cowboywildbill gives a great description but says the ONLY draw back is the price. Being somewhat of a pessimist I can think of one more. Since this stuff is so effective, many of you have mentioned that you only have to wear a T shirt and jeans under the heated layer. My question - what if you break down somewhere fairly remote and the bike's not running to provide that heat. You're going to get cold really fast. I would hope that even if you're riding with heated gear, you've got some "survival" warm clothing in the saddlebags or strapped to your seat.

I don't know why I always have to play devil's advocate, it just comes naturally to me most times. :p

Back