free website stats program Code 16 or 61? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Code 16 or 61?

I think i may have found the problem....
I did the voltage regulator test and have .04 volts on 1 leg and
.02 volts on the second....according to the other posts, any
voltage is unacceptable so i will tool on down to my friendly h-d
dealer and let them lighten my wallet some more.(as if i need any more excuses to give them my money!) i will install the regulator
and give it a good ride over the weekend and see what develops.
Thanks for your help!

If the regulator was passing a bunch of ac ripple, it is possible the ecm will see it an set a code. (maybe). I can't set any other way of setting a High voltage code in your case other than with excessive ripple.

I take it your going to do 50 restarts to try and erase the current code. What a pain. Especially if the code is still posting behind the scenes.

Interesting bug. Let us know what you find out.

The new regulator is in...voltage is 12.5 a rest, 13.5 at 1,000 rpm and 14.3 at 2500rpm. I cannot clear the code without going to the dealer apparently, but the real test will come with prolonged highway driving....(probably not until this weekend.)
i will post again at that time. Once again, thanks for your assistance, your help and explanation and the tips on the forum have made a somewhat mysterious circuit much easier to understand and diagnose......alley cat.

The new regulator is in...voltage is 12.5 a rest, 13.5 at 1,000 rpm and 14.3 at 2500rpm. I cannot clear the code without going to the dealer apparently, but the real test will come with prolonged highway driving....(probably not until this weekend.)
i will post again at that time. Once again, thanks for your assistance, your help and explanation and the tips on the forum have made a somewhat mysterious circuit much easier to understand and diagnose......alley cat.

I don't think I read where you stated how old your battery is. If I understand correctly even with the new reg. you are only seeing 12.5 at rest and this should read 12.7. have you checked all your battery cables to make sure that no corosion is present at any of the terminals? Have you checked all of the connectors (plugs) to make sure that there is no moisture or corosion present? Before spending any more $$ I would suggest that you go through all of the connectors and terminals to make sure everything is clean and tight.

That's a Very good point Don. If he did have a weak battery, it would force even more load onto the stator which would result in higher ac ripple content which in turn could trip a code.

Alley, If the problem goes away, Great. But if the problem stays or returns, it may be your battery. (also cross check your meter to be sure/you never know. Meters will go out of calibration and we are only talking about a .2 volt difference)

That's a Very good point Don. If he did have a weak battery, it would force even more load onto the stator which would result in higher ac ripple content which in turn could trip a code.

Alley, If the problem goes away, Great. But if the problem stays or returns, it may be your battery. (also cross check your meter to be sure/you never know. Meters will go out of calibration and we are only talking about a .2 volt difference)

Too many of us do not know what a fully charged battery should read , Don nailed it it is 12.75, anything under this is not fully charged:s

More good info....thanks....the battery is one year old, when i replaced the regulator, i had to remove the battery, at that time i cleaned the terminals as well as the ground posts and the positive post in the compartment. No real corrosion present, but hey it was easily accessible, so why not? I will post again sunday or monday as to whether or not the reg did the trick, is there some question as to whether or not the regulator was faulty? Doesn't the test say if there is any voltage present at the stator connector of the regulator it is faulty? You guys have me second guessing my choice to replace the regulator.

Well......put on almost 200 miles today with no check engine light.
If it were still acting up it should have appeared with the riding it got today.(rode hard and put away wet!)

hopefully this is the end of the dilemma!

Thanks once again for all your input, especially hoople!

Back