free website stats program Code 16 or 61? | Harley Davidson Forums

Code 16 or 61?

ALLEY CAT

I have been experiencing a highly intermittent engine light on my 2001 flht(carbureted) and no security system. It will come on at highway speeds usually after having been ridden for 30 minutes or more. Stays on for a few seconds and goes off. Took to the dealer who said no codes were stored. I continue to ride and the light still comes on so i pulled codes using the procedure i downloaded thru your forum. I am not sure i am reading the codes
properly. When it starts flashing there are 6 very rapid flashes, followed by a gap then a single flash then six slow flashes followed by six rapid flashes. I would take this to mean code 16
battery voltage high but if it is 61 it means tsm/tssm module.
At highway speeds my volt gauge reads roughly 14.5, maybe 14.7.
Which direction should i go?

When it starts flashing there are 6 very rapid flashes, followed by a gap then a single flash then six slow flashes followed by six rapid flashes.

I am Delphi but this is how I would read your Morelli code.
What is the period of time in seconds for each:

1) The 6 rapid flashes (if 3 seconds, it does not represent a digit of code)

2) The gap (is it 3 seconds, this represents the end of the code string)

3) The 6 slow flashes (if 6 seconds, this represents a significant digit of #6)

4) a flash or blink that has a time period of 1 second, meaning 1/2 second OFF and 1/2 second ON is a count for an error code digit.

So,, If the 6 rapid flashes happen in less than 6 seconds, then your code is 16

It sounds to me it is error code 16 which is battery voltage out of its window specification. Use a high quality meter to measure the voltage across the battery with engine off,, at idle,, and
holding at 2500 RPM. Record your PEAK reading. Don't go by your dash indicator.

Voltage is 12.42 with everything off. 13.58@ idle and 14.2 @ 2500rpm.

I am very surprise it threw a 16 code with those charging numbers. They certainly are within the window.

Have you tried to clear the code and see if the same code (16) appears. If you have not tried that, clear the code and see if the same 16 re-appears.

Like I said, I am Delphi,, but I see your flashing as a 16 error code. I am hoping that is in fact the correct code.

Check to see if the 6 flashes does take 6 seconds and the rapid 6 flashes are much less than 6 seconds. To me the rapid 6 flashes means "end of stream data, beginning new".

I would agree the numbers seem normal, the 6 rapid flashing occurs in less than 3 seconds, so i also thought it was the beginning and ending of the data stream, but i have not seen that in any of the code instructions....(i remember gm used to begin and end the stream with a "12"). If for a moment we assume that i have read the flashes incorrectly, that would mean a tsm/tssm error message of 61...are the directions for checking the tsm same as those listed on the website? Again my model is carbureted and does not have the security system. If they are the same i would try that just to eliminate another potential problem.
Going back to the code 16 i guess my next step would be to do the
stator and regulator tests, although it looks as if those are geared to finding an undercharging condition, not a potential or intermittent overcharge.

How do you clear the code? Do you need a scanalyzer?

Last edited by a moderator:
There are no codes in the tsm/tssm.
I disconnected the battery for 3 minutes and the code 16 is still stored... So disconnecting the battery will not clear codes.

The codes are still there after 3 minutes. Hummm.
To be honest, I don't know how to clear a code out of a Magnetti Morelli ECM.
I hate to think you need a special HD tool to clear the code.

Somebody may chime in but I am stumped.

Back