free website stats program clutch adjustment | Harley Davidson Forums

clutch adjustment

short

When I adjust my cable half way out then adjust my clutch adjustment rod until clutch lever comes out all the way can't pull clutch lever in all the way it's real hard to pull. Anyone have an answer thanks.

Short your description of what you're doing is a little confusing. I use the following procedure to adjust my clutch.
1. Remove the derby cover, then loosen the jam nut on the cable and turn the cable adjuster to allow allot of play.
2. At the clutch loosen the lock nut (hold the adjusting rod with an Allen wrench while doing this) then back off the adjuster a turn or so (CCW) until free, from this position turn the adjuster CW until all free play is taken up. Back out the adjuster (CCW) 1/2 turn holding the adjuster with an Allen wrench tighten the lock nut.
3. Now squeeze the clutch lever about three or four times to set the balls in the release ramp.
4. adjust the slack out of the clutch cable (don't tighten just until the clutch lever is against the housing) then pull on the end of the cable at the clutch lever there should be about 1/8 inch clearance if not adjust the cable adjuster until there is

I hope this solves your problem

Like seadogbrr (1) I back off the adjuster cable all the way.
(2) remove inspection cover, loosen lock nut and back out allen screw a few turns where no pressure on it.
(3) hold clutch lever and turn Allen in until it just m You can feel it in the lever, now back Allen out 1/2 turn. tighten lock nut
(4) now adjust cable so you have 1/8 free play at lever, pull and release clutch and re check free play. tighten cable adjuster lock nuts and install cover.

The bike has been sitting for 8 years. It is a 100 cu inch Rev Tech, 6 speed RT transmission. I cannot adjust all of the slack out of the clutch cable, there is still approx 1/2 inch left at the clutch lever, so I adjust the allen screw at the clutch pack in until the rest of the slack comes out at the clutch lever, but then clutch lever will not pull in. It is very hard to pull.

Are you saying that you have done steps 1 through 3 like was stated in above post and when you get to step 4 cable adjustment will not take all slack out?

if I am reading what you are saying you are taking up the slack with the allen screw. If that is what you are doing as you turn screw in it is compressing the clutch pack, that is why the lever will only travel part way because the clutch is fully compressed.

Yes I have done steps 1 through 3 like was stated in the above post, but when I take the slack out with the adjustment on the cable you can hardly pull the clutch lever in

Given the lengthy period without use it is possible the cable is sticking inside the sheath. You may want to disconnect both ends of the cable and make sure that it moves freely inside the casing. I have seen them so gummed up that they are almost impossible to move. Good luck.

The clutch cable seems to be alright, I was wondering if the clutch plates could be stuck from setting so long with the clutch engaged

The sticky plates could be your problem. I run a Rev. Tech. 5 speed on my Hard Tail with a stock type clutch. Not that familiar with their 6 speed. I would go ahead and remove the plates to clean and inspect. You should be able to do that without removing the clutch basket. There is a smaller friction plate and a spring plate in it at the back. Watch how they come out. If you have a shop manual it describes it.
tourbox

I think Jennmarr is corrected. it is "the cable is sticking inside the sheath" but I would clean up the sticky plates just like what tourbox said...

Back