free website stats program Clutch adjustment | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Clutch adjustment

Hoop, I'm still learning this me-can-ical stuff, I thought the clutch disengaged. Thanks for the correction. Bubbie your post was very informative and well written. If the manual was written half as well it wouldn't be so confusing. I really believe they're deliberately vague in that manual to discourage owners from doing work themselves. Anyway, this worked out well regardless. I found an independent mechanic that is absolutely great!!Here's my story:

I had met him a few days earlier, mentioned my bike seemed to run hot and asked him about an oil cooler. This guy owns a m/c repair shop (HDs only) and had one of those digital code analyzer. He also is a dealer for the UltraCooler oil cooler (has a thermostatically controlled fan). Instead of just selling me the cooler he offered to connect my bike to his digiscanner and check it for codes. He offered to do this for free. Before doing this he removed my old spark plugs...which revealed one had gotten overheated and replaced them with two plugs from NGK. Well the scan revealed no codes so I asked him to help me with my clutch. He adjusted it and showed me how to do it. we opened some sodas, sat in his garage bay and, while eating lunch, had conversation.
He was sitting by the rear wheel of my bike talking when he shouted to his partner. Telling me my belt was too loose he grabbed it and was able to push it down about an inch and half. It was so loose he could even twist it upward revealing the teeth. I was flabbergasted and sat there opened mouth as he and his partner removed my mufflers and tightened my belt. I had gotten there around noon, it was now around 300 pm and these guys had done NOTHING but work on my bike.
I was sure the bill was going to be MUCH more than I had expected. He hadn't done anything that I hadn't asked him to do but I was nervous.
Well, at the end of the day...he charged me exactly....nothing!! I couldn't believe it and began protesting. He pointed out he needed practice with his new digiscanner and, telling me he enjoyed the conversation, told me not to worry about it. As I continued to protest and insist on paying him, he stopped me in mid sentence and told me to bring him a couple of 8 packs of Gatorade Orange and we would call it even. Oh, did I mention I had a buddy there who liked my clutch so much he got his bike adjusted as well...for no charge.

Fellas, I can't stress how enjoyable a day I had, and I don't mean because I got free stuff. These guys were "old school" bikers who run their business almost like a club. I walked in the door and felt immediately at home. I hadn't just sat and talked like we did in ages. Anyway, I hope I'm not violating any policies here but I just gotta share this with any bikers who live in Central Florida.
The shop is listed below. It is owned my Scott and his partner is Jim. If you live anywhere in Central Florida, let these guys work on your bike. There definately gonna get my business (as well as plenty of Gatorade!!)

Devan Cycles, Inc.
305 Center Street
Dundee, Florida 33838 (863) 438-8082

Good Deal, glad it worked out for you Bikers Helping Bikers It just doesnt get any better than this:s

Thumbs UP to Devan Cycles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thats DEVAN CYCLES
305 Center Street
Dundee, Florida 33838 863-438-8082
Please go to these guys when in Florida, these are guys WE want to keep in business!!!
wilks3
:USA

Nice to see some good guys and their business getting a well-deserved plug. I hope they get lots of work coming their way.
Have been lucky enough not to come across any bad or mean sorts yet in my HD existence.

Back