free website stats program clutch adjustment problem | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

clutch adjustment problem

Are you sure you back out the adjuster nut till it was fully collapsed before before you started your adjustments?

I tried to reply this morning and I could not connect to the web site again. It was down all day until just now. I tried both methods and the result was the same. I just got back from a trial run and the bike shifts ok but clutch grabs very close to the bar. After shutting the motor off, if I leave it in gear and pull the clutch leaver all the way in I can barley roll the bike. put in neutal and it rolls fine.

Well,decided to try adj. one more time. There must have been something in a bind or the ramp balls weren't seated properly before. I redid the adjustment and to my suprise, the screw was backed off about 4 or 5 turns. reset it and now everything is peachy. Thanks for the help, it's really comforting to have all this support. Sometimes it helps just to have someone to talk to.

Sounds like the balls in the ramps were out. That's why I mentioned it above.

Glad you got it going.

sorry about the silence glider. last night sudenly I could not connect with the web site hd talking don't know what happened. I as far as i can tell I did the adjustment bt the book. I have done this adjustment many times on several bikes and never had this problem. This is the first time I have done it on this bike. When I first loosened the lock nut I had to back the center allen screw out about a half turn before it didn't touch.Then I performed the adjustment just as the book said. turned it in till it touched and started moving the handle out from the handle bar. Then backed it off 1/2 turn and tightened the lock nut. Then readusted the the cable till there was about 1/8 inch space at the cable and the pivot. Now the handle will only pull back about half way before it gets real tight like it has bottomed something out and I am stretching the cable.

Loosen the clutch stud (the one on the clutch itself) all the way out till it turns freely with your fingers. Now turn it in with your finger till you feel it touch the rod (not all the way in till you feel it stop using the allen). now back it off the 1/2 turn and lock it down with the jam nut, hold it with the allen but not letting the allen wrench move. then go ahead and adjust the cable till you have the 1/8" at the lever.

Jack, The OP readjusted the clutch and all is OK now :D

yep; I noticed after I replied. I had another guy who thought he was supposed to turn in the stud all the way in til it stopped and then back it off the 1'2 turn so that is why I said that.

Back