free website stats program clutch adjustment problem | Harley Davidson Forums

clutch adjustment problem

hogtyd

Hey glider! I need help. I decided tonight to adjust my clutch. I printed out the clutch adjustment procedure from the self help section and followed it to a tee. Now when I adjust the free play at the lever to 1/16 to 1/8 the lever will not pull all the way to the handle bar! whats wrong?

Was the bike cold when you did it? Also check the cable adjuster that it is adjusted properly too.

Also did you squeeze the clutch lever 3 times after adjusting the clutch to center the balls in the ramp?

This is the important part...

Back the adjuster out 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn from seated (preferrably 1/2 turn out) . Repeat this several times to get the "feel" and to get all the play out. I prefer an adjustment of about 1/2 turn out for best feel .

Last edited:
yes the bike has not been started since yesterday. after i set the clutch adj. and locked it down, I reset the cable adjusting nut till the lever has the suggested 1/16 to 1/8 free play. now the lever will not pull all the way back to the handle bar

the lever pulls fine, it just will not pull all the way back till it touches the handle bar. I still have the cover off and I can see the clutch pack seperate when i pull the lever. but it feels like it is bottoming out.

Glider, Need your help, I can't put it in words. Derby cover adjustment. Loosen lock-nut, turn in pressure screw until "resistance" is felt. Then back off the 1/2 turn.
There was a recent thread where the OP turned the pressure screw all the way in, then backed out.

Could this be it?

sorry about the silence glider. last night sudenly I could not connect with the web site hd talking don't know what happened. I as far as i can tell I did the adjustment bt the book. I have done this adjustment many times on several bikes and never had this problem. This is the first time I have done it on this bike. When I first loosened the lock nut I had to back the center allen screw out about a half turn before it didn't touch.Then I performed the adjustment just as the book said. turned it in till it touched and started moving the handle out from the handle bar. Then backed it off 1/2 turn and tightened the lock nut. Then readusted the the cable till there was about 1/8 inch space at the cable and the pivot. Now the handle will only pull back about half way before it gets real tight like it has bottomed something out and I am stretching the cable.

Back