free website stats program close call!!!! | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

close call!!!!

Glad you're OK, Ref: Acorns... we were coming home from a trip to Gold Hill & within 2 miles from home, the wind was blowing... I approached a section of the road that had Oak trees on either side. As I approached I noticed right before we got there the trees were dumping a load of acorns via the wind. No time to do anything but alert the wife & blow through.... I came through without a hit, but unfortunately she took one between her nose & lip and hollered in my ear.... She's OK... just a "Red" mark for awhile.

Another thing to be aware of at this time of year are Deers... More prevolent at dusk & dawn... FYI

Wow Gator! You should be a MSF instructor if you aren't already! Sounds like you are a pro at defensive driving. That reminded me of a few years back when we were coming home from church (in the cage) and a tree fell across the road right in front of us. We were okay, but shaken a bit. From reading all the posts, that kind of stuff happens more often than you'd think. Glad you are OK!

Wow Gator! You should be a MSF instructor if you aren't already! Sounds like you are a pro at defensive driving. That reminded me of a few years back when we were coming home from church (in the cage) and a tree fell across the road right in front of us. We were okay, but shaken a bit. From reading all the posts, that kind of stuff happens more often than you'd think. Glad you are OK!

Thanks Flipper! It was a first for me, hope its the last. BTW, no MSF instuctor, just lots of riding under my belt or is it belly....lol!

Glad everything is ok. Last year while riding with my in-laws outside of Daytona, they were in front, out of no where this tom turkey comes swooping out of a tree, across the road right over my mother in laws head. We both stopped at the next light and looked at each other with our jaws wide open. About 6" lower and she would have been smacked right in the head.

Agree with Jack... been very windy down here on the east coast of FL.

Ride safe and have fun out there.

Really have to watch when riding these days. Plus, make sure the "Mayhem Guy" from the insurance ads on TV is no where around. He can cause some bad stuff to happen. :eek:)

You know another thing to watch for is don't tailgate too close. I know everyone just said yea right, but I'm talking about another danger one might not think about when tailgating (I've seen Biker's tailgate cages).

I was coming home from work many yrs ago following a medium sized car at about 50yds. And that car was following a truck. All of a sudden there was a loud banging noise from the car and out from under it came a long twisted rod of something.

Well I swerved and pulled off the road to see what in world. Other cars behind me were going around this item so I walked out into the road and picked it up.

It was a piece of #8 rebar twisted into the shape of a giant fish hook. It was about 3.5 feet long as a hook, and if you could stretch it out it would of probably been 5 ft long.

I have no idea what twisted that rebar like a hook cause that medium sized car didn't do it. #8 Rebar is an inch diameter. This was a big hunk of steel. It's a wonder it didn't punch a hole in the floor of that car and just come right up in the passenger area. He never even stopped. I wonder what damage he did incur from it even though it exited the rear.

I put it in the back of my truck and brought it home. It's stilll hanging in my open wood shed out back. I show it to folks every now and again when they are visiting and it comes up in conversation.

Give a bit of distance to the vehicle in front of you. You just never know what may be coming at you from under it (or out of it).

Back