free website stats program Checking tire pressure. | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Checking tire pressure.

Easiest way I found to date is to raise bike on jack @ home & check/fill tires. Gives just enough rear ground clearance & I have HD's $pendy air gage to use for checks. Plan to swap rear stem w/90 angle when tire's swapped.

A little time and patience works for me. If you have a bike lift, that's the best option. Besides the motorcycle, I buy very few products from HD - the air gauge, shock pump, and oil filters are worth the money.

Someone prolly said this, but have the tire balanced AFTER you put on the angled tire stem. The Harley shop in Tacoma will not install them or sell them as they believe they will prevent a decent balancing.

Be careful if you change the stem for an angled one. They can contact the brake caliper at speeds when they flex and cause sudden deflation.

Easiest way I found to date is to raise bike on jack @ home & check/fill tires. Gives just enough rear ground clearance & I have HD's $pendy air gage to use for checks. Plan to swap rear stem w/90 angle when tire's swapped.
That's the way I check my pressure, while it is up on the jack and I'm giving it a good cleaning. I didn't know about the 90 degree valve stem. Thanks for that. That should make it even easier still.

Be careful if you change the stem for an angled one. They can contact the brake caliper at speeds when they flex and cause sudden deflation.

Whoa... Never thought of that.
WAP.gif

Whoa... Never thought of that.
WAP.gif

I went to a place that sold RV's and bought an angled adapter with the intention of leaving it on permanently to make checking pressures easier. Screwed it on and couldn't get it into a position where it would stay out of the way and not hit the caliper as Glider warned. Now I just attach it whenever I'm checking and/or adding air.

I've never had a problem checking tire pressures. I roll the bike until the rear tire stem is at the 8 O'Clock position which puts it between the bags and fender. Easy to put air in or check pressures.

As for filling your tires, put one of these together and throw in your bag and you're all set. First you need the hose off a bicycle pump and a schrader valve. Cut the rubber from around the valve like this..

DSCN0177.jpg
. now insert the valve into the hose and secure with a hose clamp..

DSCN0178.jpg
. Now you can attach almost any air stem to your extension when installed on your valve stem..

DSCN0179.jpg
. This device won't let you check air pressure because it is a one way valve. I just broke down and bought the HD guage because of the convienence of it..

Back